Steering Column Replacement

I have a 98 Lexus GS400 that the motor for the tilt steering has a short in it. every once in a while i get lucky and it will work for a little while. of course lexus told me it would be $1300 to replace the motor so that is not happening. i was curious if anyone had ever bought a steering column with all the parts on it and replaced this part, or the whole steering column, themselves. im wondering if it is something i would be willing to take on myself. also if anyone has other info concerning the motor or other ways around the problem that would be great as well.

Have you searched the forum? There have been a bunch of threads on the tilt/telescope system but I think most have been in the LS400 part of the forum. Here is a thread about a wiring harness being too tight: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=6473

Replacing the entire steering column sounds like a lot of work when it is fairly easy to replace the tilt and telescope motors. And the tilt and telescope motors in a used steering column might not be any good or have a very long life.

It's been posted in a past thread but I'll attach a TSIB on how to replace the tilt and telescope motors in a 99 LS400 -- the procedure may be similar on your GS.

If you can nudge the steering wheel to where you want it, you can have the automatic tilt/telescope turned off with a handheld scan tool.

Tilt__Telescopic_Steering_Column_TSIB.pdf

Have you searched the forum? There have been a bunch of threads on the tilt/telescope system but I think most have been in the LS400 part of the forum. Here is a thread about a wiring harness being too tight: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=6473

Replacing the entire steering column sounds like a lot of work when it is fairly easy to replace the tilt and telescope motors. And the tilt and telescope motors in a used steering column might not be any good or have a very long life.

It's been posted in a past thread but I'll attach a TSIB on how to replace the tilt and telescope motors in a 99 LS400 -- the procedure may be similar on your GS.

If you can nudge the steering wheel to where you want it, you can have the automatic tilt/telescope turned off with a handheld scan tool.

im guessing this handheld scan gun is something only the dealership is going to have? im definitely not again just shutting off the feature completely once i get it to the position i want. thanks

• 1 year later...
I have a 98 Lexus GS400 that the motor for the tilt steering has a short in it. every once in a while i get lucky and it will work for a little while. of course lexus told me it would be $1300 to replace the motor so that is not happening. i was curious if anyone had ever bought a steering column with all the parts on it and replaced this part, or the whole steering column, themselves. im wondering if it is something i would be willing to take on myself. also if anyone has other info concerning the motor or other ways around the problem that would be great as well.

I found your thread and I have the exact same problem. The Lexus dealer wanted $2500 to replace the column! No way! And the LS400 tilt mechanism seems to be very different. I took the shroud off of the column and visually examined the tilt mechanism. Seems to be a threaded screw shaft that is moved by a gear on the motor. There's a lot of dirty grease in there that could be shorting the motor. I didn't have a short-handled screw driver to removed a steel guard bracket covering the threaded shaft but once I removed it, I think I can reach the motor and clean it up. The instructions for correcting a LS tilt on this forum are simple but do not apply to the GS400/300 I think.

If anyone has figured out this short we are talking about, please let us know.