1994 Es300 Randomly Doesn't Start

Wii60

Hey all first time poster here. I'm afraid I don't know much about cars, so I can use some serious help.

I've got a 1994 es300. I love my car. She's awesome, I call her Lexi and she has 132,000 miles on her. I want her to run another 132,000. For 4 years, there have been few problems. Only really had to replace the tires and work on the brakes, but since before thanksgiving, it occasionally will not start. After a visit to the mechanic, they couldn't find a problem, suggesting that the quality of the fuel (this was during the gas price hike) may be the problem.

Shortly thereafter (Late December), the check engine light came on, and they had to replace an oxygen sensor and some mounting bar for the engine. They also said that the fuel filter needed replacing (at exactly 50,000 miles gotta love this car's engineering), and that may have been the problem.

Well, today, it happened again. Took me 5 tries but it finally started. If it helps, It was literally 19 degrees and snowing last week, and now it is 70. Maybe some condensation in the fuel line?

Hope I was descriptive enough, has anyone seen the same thing in their early model es300?

You're not really giving us enough information to enable us to easily diagnose what is happening.

What happens when you turn the key to crank the car? Is there a clicking sound, or no sound? If there is a clicking sound, your battery may be weak or you may have a bad battery connection.

If there is no sound when you turn the key, your starter is probably going bad. We also have a 94 ES, and our starter started going out at about 140,000 miles. We would have to turn and release the key numerous times before the engine would crank.

Unlike some Lexus models, the starter in the ES models is easily accessible and is fairly cheap. I ordered the starter from Park Place Lexus in Plano, Texas and had a local independent garage install it. I would suggest that you not go to a Lexus dealer for this repair - you might get sticker shock at their prices.

You're not really giving us enough information to enable us to easily diagnose what is happening.

What happens when you turn the key to crank the car? Is there a clicking sound, or no sound? If there is a clicking sound, your battery may be weak or you may have a bad battery connection.

If there is no sound when you turn the key, your starter is probably going bad. We also have a 94 ES, and our starter started going out at about 140,000 miles. We would have to turn and release the key numerous times before the engine would crank.

Unlike some Lexus models, the starter in the ES models is easily accessible and is fairly cheap. I ordered the starter from Park Place Lexus in Plano, Texas and had a local independent garage install it. I would suggest that you not go to a Lexus dealer for this repair - you might get sticker shock at their prices.

It does make a noise when I turn the key. It sounds like the engine is trying to start and then just dies. The dash lights up with oil, battery and engine. When it finally does start after these problems, the car shakes a lot before finally settling down about 30 seconds later.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all first time poster here. I'm afraid I don't know much about cars, so I can use some serious help.

I've got a 1994 es300. I love my car. She's awesome, I call her Lexi and she has 132,000 miles on her. I want her to run another 132,000. For 4 years, there have been few problems. Only really had to replace the tires and work on the brakes, but since before thanksgiving, it occasionally will not start. After a visit to the mechanic, they couldn't find a problem, suggesting that the quality of the fuel (this was during the gas price hike) may be the problem.

Shortly thereafter (Late December), the check engine light came on, and they had to replace an oxygen sensor and some mounting bar for the engine. They also said that the fuel filter needed replacing (at exactly 50,000 miles gotta love this car's engineering), and that may have been the problem.

Well, today, it happened again. Took me 5 tries but it finally started. If it helps, It was literally 19 degrees and snowing last week, and now it is 70. Maybe some condensation in the fuel line?

Hope I was descriptive enough, has anyone seen the same thing in their early model es300?

I believe autozone does a free battery/alternator/charger check up.. you may try that..

I believe autozone does a free battery/alternator/charger check up.. you may try that..

Yes does anyone know how to change a Lexus Es300 headlight bulb