Aftermarket Vs. Oem Muffler

motoroil

I need to replace my '93 ES300's muffler. A baffle broke loose inside.

I'm trying to decide between OEM bolt-on replacement, or a universal/aftermarket weld-on.

Most OEM bolt-ons I can find are about $200, on ebay as cheap as $126. (install myself) There'd be a little more cost than that as I'd need to buy new bolts and maybe hangers.

I can get a local muffler shop to weld-on a universal for about $125 (I don't have to mess with rusty corroded exhaust bolts!) Total cost is $125

Oh, and I'd have to wait a light year on shipping for the ebay one and then wait for a day when its not below freezing to install.

The shop I could have my car done tomorrow.

Which is the way to go? Is OEM better than a universal? And drawbacks to going weld-on instead of OEM bolt-on? I don't want some nasty looking ping-pong ball size tube universal instead of our good-lookin twin tip though. It havta be a decent looking universal.

Whadya think?????? :huh:

I had to replace muffler on my old accord last year and I bought the OEM bolt on online and i was going to do it myself - but 1/2 a day and a can of WD-40 later I had to take it to a place because I couldnt get the old rusted bolts off.

I'd try to stick to the OEM if you are confident you can do it yourself or if the repair shop can do it at a reasonable price.