Rotors Turned At 66k. New Ones Now?

ED.

I was going through service history on my Aunts 1992 300 and from a service ticket I found it said the front pads were replaced at 66k and they recommended changing the rotors but the p/o just had them turned.

I went out and looked and they have a very small lip but very minimal. Pads look low as well so I thought about doing pads and rotors at the same time. Car has almost 100k now and she said it made a screech the other day.

TIA

I was going through service history on my Aunts 1992 300 and from a service ticket I found it said the front pads were replaced at 66k and they recommended changing the rotors but the p/o just had them turned.

I went out and looked and they have a very small lip but very minimal. Pads look low as well so I thought about doing pads and rotors at the same time. Car has almost 100k now and she said it made a screech the other day.

TIA

Dealers and garages often recommend replacement of rotors when turning them is all that's required, simply because there's more profit in selling a set of rotors. Your have 34k miles since the rotors were turned and now have only a small lip. I'd have them "miked" to see if they can again be trued up. Rotors are expensive and if they can be turned there is absolutely no advantage to replacing them. Just depends on whether there's enough metal left to turn them again, and if so, how many dollars you're determined to spend on the brake job.

I went back and got the records again and this time I saw another ticket from the Toyota dealer the previous owner took it and here is what it said:

Customer states just had front brake service done because of noise.

Brakes are still making noise. Check and advise.

Rod test vehicle duplicated customer concern. Found new front rotors have slightly aggressive finish. Recommend sanding and rechecking.

Resurface front rotors and road test. No further problems.

The ticket from three weeks earlier said it needed rotors but the owner said nay and had them machined. This one says sand new rotors but I'm guessing typo.

We had a bad shimmy on an old BMW and turning the rotors on it made a huge difference. We took it to our mechanic though and I forget how much it was.

In the end new rotors may just be as easy unless I could find a place to turn them when I had the pads off to save time. Plus if they are rusted on then it's a whole new story...

Thanks