New Here And Really Bummed!

Hey guys (& gals) I have a 96 Lexus ES 300 with almost 177 thousand miles on it. I found out today that it has a rear main oil leak and that it is pretty pricey to fix. Im also having issues with the ABS and waiting to find out what the prognosis is with that. Im thinking its time to sell? The body is is good shape, but gee whiz.........fixing might just kill me. Anyone near me that knows of someone who won't charge me a fortune to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Lexigirl71,

Depending on how bad the leak is, or where you park your car, you might just live with the leak problem. Unless you park on daddy's brick mosaic driveway (and he's awfully particular) or its leaking a quart a day, oil is relatively cheap. It may be far less expensive to put a quart a week into the engine at $2.50, over the next year, than lay out $700 for a seal replacement.

As for the ABS, on a 12 year old car it could be a corroded or broken wire at one of the wheel sensors, or the ABS fuse, or the ABS unit may be partially seized if the brake fluid hasn't ever been flushed over the years. It may just be something minor. A Toyota/Lexus Tech can trace the cause fairly quickly and let you decide on whether to fix it or not. After all, it won't hurt the car to drive it without ABS (yes, you lose the extra safety factor of ABS) but you've owned and driven cars that didn't have ABS and you still survived.

These two items come down to whether or not you are the type of person who really needs to have them fixed. In my case they would both drive me crazy until corrected. But in my younger years before money was no longer a problem, I would have lived quite nicely without fixing either one. You have some decisions to make, and you already made a good one when you bought your Lexus. Good Luck!

I havent yet gotten a quote. My son just had it looked at by a co-worker. They work for a Chrysler dealership. The guy just said it was going to be pricey to fix the leak. Both are very annoying, however I dont just have lots of money laying around. Ive owed the car for 2 yrs, while I do like the car Im wondering if I should just sell it. I had the front axles replaced a few months ago along with the starter. I feel like its going to nickle and dime me to death.

Our 94 ES has been dripping oil on our garage floor for several years. The dripping turned out to be from three sources: valve cover gaskets, power steering hose, and rear main seal.

I had the first two problems fixed, and that greatly reduced the dripping. I was quoted a price of $900.00 to replace the rear main seal and chose not to have this done. The amount of oil being lost is very small. The oil level on the dip stick barely drops below the full line between my oil changes (4,000 miles, usually).

The $900.00 price was from a repair facility that specializes in Lexus and Toyota vehicles. I don't know how much a Lexus dealer would charge, but it would probably be more.

I agree with not changing the rear seal. There is additive you can use to recondition the engine seals ( they get hard when they get old). It softens them up and it can really control any seeping. Monitor the oil level and add as needed(oil). Way cheaper and takes away the threat of them further !Removed! something else up and costing you even more.....way more.

The brakes should not be expensive. Get different estimates and opinions. You NEED brakes,ABS or not, make sure you trust them.

And finally, once these are addressed, keep your Lexus, and let the LOC help you get through the repair grind unless of course you get an offer you can t refuse. Better to sell it while its running.

Thanks to all who have responded. What is the additive I can use to help the problem or is it a special oil? Sorry guys, but I am definately a woman who doesn't know a thing about vehicles. They have always been a mystery to me. I just know what I like and what looks good.

Thanks to all who have responded. What is the additive I can use to help the problem or is it a special oil? Sorry guys, but I am definately a woman who doesn't know a thing about vehicles. They have always been a mystery to me. I just know what I like and what looks good.

No worries Lexigirl.....that's sites like ours exist. B) Consider what is called a 'higher mileage' engine oil for older vehicles.....available at any auto parts stores or Walmart. That might help.

My suggestion however is to get an actual quote & an inspection of the actual problem from a trusted mechanic first & then decide.

Here's some more info on a 'high mileage' oil...

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/pr...l.asp?product=7

:cheers: