P0135

LS430DarkRed

I have a 2001 Lexus LS430 with 75K miles. Check engine is on due to P0135 code:

This code refers to the front oxygen sensor on Bank 1. The heated circuit in the oxygen sensor decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The ECM tracks how long it takes for the oxygen sensor to begin switching. It the ECM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0135.

Is this problem common to LS430? Which side is bank 1? Does the car ever goes into closed-loop operation? How critical is this code? Can I just leave it? How easy is it to replace the sensor? Can I do it by myself? What kind of cost am I looking at?

I have a 2001 Lexus LS430 with 75K miles. Check engine is on due to P0135 code:

This code refers to the front oxygen sensor on Bank 1. The heated circuit in the oxygen sensor decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The ECM tracks how long it takes for the oxygen sensor to begin switching. It the ECM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0135.

Is this problem common to LS430? Which side is bank 1? Does the car ever goes into closed-loop operation? How critical is this code? Can I just leave it? How easy is it to replace the sensor? Can I do it by myself? What kind of cost am I looking at?

bank one is generally the drivers side iirc.

you'll get crap mpg without fixing it.

overall it's cheap to fix, just a new sensor (4 wire aftermarket (bosch) or oem) isnt too much monies.

you MIGHT be able to do it, it's pretty tight on the LS400 not sure about the LS430. regardless it wont be more than an hour-2 labor at any reputable shop.