Wiring Emergency Lights! Need Advice =]

firerescue58

Hello all, my name is Paul, I used to have an 1986 300e Mercedes, the head gave out recently with 670,000 miles on it, I decided to look on for a new car, well used.. I got myself a 2000 rx 300 with a little over 100,000 miles on it.. good deal, and I am a active firefighter for my city, and I have a few emergency led lights to transfer over to the car for pov usage, I have a few grille lights I would like to install but I am unsure of how to get the wiring from the engine compartment to the interior.. anyone have suggestions of where to look or start first?

thanks!

Paul-

Hello all, my name is Paul, I used to have an 1986 300e Mercedes, the head gave out recently with 670,000 miles on it, I decided to look on for a new car, well used.. I got myself a 2000 rx 300 with a little over 100,000 miles on it.. good deal, and I am a active firefighter for my city, and I have a few emergency led lights to transfer over to the car for pov usage, I have a few grille lights I would like to install but I am unsure of how to get the wiring from the engine compartment to the interior.. anyone have suggestions of where to look or start first?

thanks!

Paul-

Paul- I outfitted for 8 years for a major law enforcement agency before I retired. We always used a holesaw and rubber grommet but were normally running quite a lot of wires and I don't think that is probably the case with you. As you know the LED's take almost no juice so don't require very large wire. You didn't say where the LED's were going and maybe you don't need help with that. As far as getting through the firewall- I need to know a little more about what type of switching you will use and how many lights. If you want to PM me I could probably answer your questions a little more thoroughly. just need details.

"Roger"

Well, i have a remote radar detector wired from the front grill to the inside cabin, and i drilled a hole in the firewall right above the gas pedal. Went straight through to the engine compartment. Used just an ordinary 1/2inch bit.

Not sure if it's the 'best' spot but it worked for me!

Well, i have a remote radar detector wired from the front grill to the inside cabin, and i drilled a hole in the firewall right above the gas pedal. Went straight through to the engine compartment. Used just an ordinary 1/2inch bit.

Not sure if it's the 'best' spot but it worked for me!

You could put the strobes in the 'fake' fog light slits in the front bumper too, might be very hidden B)

Paul- I outfitted for 8 years for a major law enforcement agency before I retired. We always used a holesaw and rubber grommet but were normally running quite a lot of wires and I don't think that is probably the case with you. As you know the LED's take almost no juice so don't require very large wire. You didn't say where the LED's were going and maybe you don't need help with that. As far as getting through the firewall- I need to know a little more about what type of switching you will use and how many lights. If you want to PM me I could probably answer your questions a little more thoroughly. just need details.

"Roger"

i tried sending a message, wouldn't let me... =\ I have two led lights that need to go a power source to a switch box in the cab,