Quick/diy Fix For 1993 Es300 Blown Head Gasket

wukakwukwuk

So...

I have a 1993 Lexus ES300 and it is nice. I have lots of white smoke coming from tailpipe. Mechanics quoted me from $1,800.00 on up to $4,200.00. Jeez.

In a messy divorce so my money and credit are all tied up in litigation SO...I need a quick fix to get me through the next month.

Have you heard of Bar's Leak Head Gasket Fix and Bar's Leak Head Gasket Repair? I have been researching, but wanted to see if anyone would lend their personal endorsement of the product or advise me one way or the other.

My gosh, if I could get a new one, I would or if I could get it fixed out right, I would. This car has been great to me and my kids. Now it is all I have to get to and from work to pay absorbent legal fees and live while providing a quality life for my kids. LOL I guess I just needed to vent and am afraid people will give me grief about trying to rig up such a great vehicle.

Someone...anyone...gimme some hope here :D

Wukka

Hey, I feel your pain. Try anything you can for a temporary fix....but thats all it is, temporary, maybe buy a few miles. The white smoke sounds like steam and you might have a cracked head(cylinder wall) where the coolant gets in and turns to exhaust steam. Makes enough to look like you are creating a thick fog on a clear nite. Means a new upper motor....big bucks. If its just the head gasket a good/fair mechanic can replace at way less cost. Get different estimates. Thats about it for now. Good luck!

I wouldn't waste your time trying a quick fix, unfortunatly there are no band aids that would keep you on the road much longer. But $1400 to $4000, that is way too much. Check ebay, there are several people that sell good low mileage engines from Japan. The Japaness emission laws are so strict, that they have to replace the engine and tranny. The old engines are then shipped to the US and other places. These engines have from 40 to 60 k miles on them. I have installed several of these engines in different cars, and had excellent results. These engines are going for around $600, if you have good mechical skills you can install one of these engines yourself and get the car back on the road for considerably less than $1000. Of course if you need to hire a professional to install the engine it will cost more, but you should still be able to get it installed for less than $1400. Keep in mind that most of these engines come complete with alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor.

I wouldn't waste your time trying a quick fix, unfortunatly there are no band aids that would keep you on the road much longer. But $1400 to $4000, that is way too much. Check ebay, there are several people that sell good low mileage engines from Japan. The Japaness emission laws are so strict, that they have to replace the engine and tranny. The old engines are then shipped to the US and other places. These engines have from 40 to 60 k miles on them. I have installed several of these engines in different cars, and had excellent results. These engines are going for around $600, if you have good mechical skills you can install one of these engines yourself and get the car back on the road for considerably less than $1000. Of course if you need to hire a professional to install the engine it will cost more, but you should still be able to get it installed for less than $1400. Keep in mind that most of these engines come complete with alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor.

George_Jetson is right. A JDM used motor is your best bet. If the head gasket blew, likely other things will go sometime soon--motor must have wear on it. A JDM motor will have much less wear and cost less to install. Why replace a gasket when you can get a much newer motor for considerably less than the cost of replacing the head gaskets.

I've priced it around here, and usually its around $1000 to have installed by a shop, if you search your local craigslist you should be able to find mechanics who work on the side for a discounted rate, usually around $45 an hour, and cut your cost substantively as the $1000 figure is based on a usually $60-70 per hour rate. Only think with the craigslist mechanic is risk. Look for someone with references or who actually is a mechanic for their dayjob.

Best of luck!