Attn: All Computer Gurus And Persons Of Experience!

Randy&Bonnie

Since spybot has removed the troj, all you need to do is restore to the date just before you ran spybot.

Go to SystemTools. Select System Restore. Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time". Pick the date just before you ran spybot and run restore. You can always undo the restore or pick a different date if the one you run doesn't fix your prob, like immediately before you got infected. Your data will not be affected but any prog/updates you've installed since that date will have to be reinstalled.:cheers:

Have you tried deleting the printer, loading the printer install program again, and then hooking up the printer as the HP procedure usually goes. That should provide the Registry with the necessary entries.

Be sure to download the latest driver from HP.

Another possible fix is to reinstall XP over the existing installation. You will get a choice to "Repair" during the install process. Sometimes that works.

Dell usually provides a recovery CD/DVD that will restore your system to how it was when the computer was purchased. Depending on how yours is set up you may get a "Repair" message somewhere along the line that will fix missing or corrupted files.

If you are completely insane you can format your C:\ drive and reinstall everything but you will need a full XP disk.

You are right - System Restore is pretty much a hit-or-miss proposition. Yours was a "miss" this time.

If you put in the XP install disk, if you have one, or the Dell system recovery disk you may have options that you haven't considered. "Repair" may be a choice somewhere along the line. Neither will reformat your HD or C:\ partition unless you give specific permission for it to do so. Give it a try and only go as far as you are comfortable.

A registry entry usually has to be re-entered by the program that will use it. Apparently the entry was not in the HP printer's install program but HP drivers are quirky. That leaves the XP files and entries. If you have the XP SP 1, SP 2. and SP 3 *.exe programs you could try to reinstall these over your existing XP in the long shot case that one of them has the needed files and registry entries. Nothing will be destroyed or deleted by doing so. If each service pack is already complete then the *.exe file should tell you that. The SPs can be downloaded from Microsoft if you don't have them but do take awhile even at broadband speeds.

Another far out option is to borrow someone's different model HP printer and install disk and install his/her printer in the hope that the registry entry and any needed files would be restored. See if that printer will function. If it does then you can reinstall yours and it should work. The borrowed printer can always be deleted afterward and will leave the debris in the Registry.

Hi eating..

I appreciate your reply and your suggestions was one of my very first attemts. I have not used a system restore feature since about 2000, when I had a Gateway at my office running MS Windows XP. It had a "go back" feature and it really worked.

It seems all these fancy software packages say they do this and that, but so far none have worked!

Any other suggestions???

What happened when you did the restore? And how far back did you go?

If you use the Dell repair disk it will restore the machine to the configuration as to when it came out of the box. All data will be lost. I have had excellent results recovering data with SPINRITE from gibson research. google it. I suggest, if possibe, assuming the machine is out of warrenty, removing the hard drive and slave it to another computer and recover the data to another hard drive or dvd's before going any further. Then you can do a system reinstall and reinstall all your programs later.

If you use the Dell repair disk it will restore the machine to the configuration as to when it came out of the box. All data will be lost. I have had excellent results recovering data with SPINRITE from gibson research. google it. I suggest, if possibe, assuming the machine is out of warrenty, removing the hard drive and slave it to another computer and recover the data to another hard drive or dvd's before going any further. Then you can do a system reinstall and reinstall all your programs later.

If you're planning to do as gabep suggests, I'd be very certain to scan the drive for any viruses/trojans/worms etc. The last thing you need is to infect another computer when backing up your data to it.

Sorry. Just got here. In the future you could try this:

Go to Start/Run and type in...

sfc /scannow

Make sure that you put a space in front of the slash or you'll get an error message.

After the scan finishes the applet just goes away unless a problem is found. A corrupt or replaced file gets replaced from the backup stored in the Dllcache folder or from the Windows CD. If Windows File Protection cannot locate the correct file, it prompts you for the location. The windows cd is a must for replacing these 'lost' system files.

You can do some additonal research and find command switches here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310747

Here is a little bat file I wrote to fix the update problem

Copy the following to Notepad:

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll

regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll

regsvr32 /s wups2.dll

regsvr32 /s wups.dll

regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

Then save it as "update fix.bat" then run the .bat file and reboot. Just double click each file as it comes up.

Try Window update again and it should download and install OK after this.