1998 Es 300 Starting Problem

1998 ES300 78k miles

About a month ago, the car would not start unless I gave it gas as I was turning the key. Once started, the engine would stall if I let go of the gas. Previously there was no sign of trouble, and I mean no sign at all -- it ran/started flawlessly. Had the car towed to a Lexus dealership, which ended up replacing the Idle Air Control Valve.

Ran/started fine eversince, up until yesterday morning when the same problem resurfaced. The only difference being that the engine will not stall now, but, just as before, it won't start unless I give it gas.

Obviously going back into the dealer to sort this out, but before I do that, I would appreciate any insight from any users experiencing similar problems or maybe even a mechanic browsing these forums. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

1998 ES300 78k miles

About a month ago, the car would not start unless I gave it gas as I was turning the key. Once started, the engine would stall if I let go of the gas. Previously there was no sign of trouble, and I mean no sign at all -- it ran/started flawlessly. Had the car towed to a Lexus dealership, which ended up replacing the Idle Air Control Valve.

Ran/started fine eversince, up until yesterday morning when the same problem resurfaced. The only difference being that the engine will not stall now, but, just as before, it won't start unless I give it gas.

Obviously going back into the dealer to sort this out, but before I do that, I would appreciate any insight from any users experiencing similar problems or maybe even a mechanic browsing these forums. Thanks in advance.

1998 ES300 78k miles

I have the same problem with a 99 es-300 with 116k miles that started a few months ago, but doesnt do it all the time. So I'm ignoring it for now til warm weather get here again...I have learned to keep a slight pressure on the throttle when this happens and keep the rpm at about a 1000 and as soon as you hit the highway you never notice anymore!

Will check back here on occasion and see what other answers come!

I am having a similar problem with my 1998 ES300, although it is intermittent. Somtimes if you go to start the car it will fire up then stall out. You then have to give it gas to keep it running. Sometimes if you wait a few minutes then try to start it again it will start and idle without having to give it gas, but not all the time. Sometimes you have to give it gas for awhile then after running for awhile it will idle fine.

Not sure if this is the same issue you are experiencing, but any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kris

I may be wrong, but I think I recall someone saying this problem was caused by the Idle Air Control Valve.

Thanks, did some searching on that and it does sound like that might be the issue. I am going to try cleaning that and see if it does the trick.

Thanks again for the reply!