I Would Love Some Tire/wheel Combination Advice, Please?

ramonwong

Hi, there,

I inherited a 2002 SC 430 Coupe, (Silver), in my father's estate, this past year.

Being a teacher, I am quite nervous about being able to afford to maintain this kind of car.

One thing I'd would love advice for is how to change to a more comfortable and affordable tire/wheel combination with as little out-of-pocket cost as possible.

The car came equipped with the "Premium Tire/Wheel Package," which at the time was 245/40ZR18 Bridgestone run-flats, mounted on 18" chrome wheels, with the gold Lexus badge in the center.

This package was approx. a $3,500.00 option at the time.

Given the high cost of replacing these tires, and the rather stiff ride of such low-profile tires, I would like to replace this set-up with something more comfortable, higher mileage, and less expensive, if this is possible.

Is there a smaller wheel/tire combination that any member out there would recommend?

Is there a way of trading my set-up for a less expensive option, with as little extra cost as possible? Should I check out any particular tire shops that might do a trade?

Would going to perhaps as small as a 16" wheel/tire combo make a noticeable difference in ride comfort, tire noise, longevity, etc?

Thanks so much for the advice!! I'm just a "newbie" Lexus owner who's nervous!!..=)

Kind Regards,

Ramon

There are many many tire post on here,,, not being a smart "A", but if you would read the posts on tires, you could educate yourself.

I really wouldn't change the wheels. To start with, you might find it difficult to even find a 16" wheel that would fit, but even if you could, it would ruin the looks of the car and kill resale value.

I think I'd go with replacing the current tires with non-runflats. You'll find this makes a tremendous difference in the ride, handling and quietness all by itself.

For a spare, you have two options, get a spare tire kit or get a plug kit, a small air compressor and a AAA card. You'll probably find that the latter will take care of all your needs.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, there,

I inherited a 2002 SC 430 Coupe, (Silver), in my father's estate, this past year.

Being a teacher, I am quite nervous about being able to afford to maintain this kind of car.

One thing I'd would love advice for is how to change to a more comfortable and affordable tire/wheel combination with as little out-of-pocket cost as possible.

The car came equipped with the "Premium Tire/Wheel Package," which at the time was 245/40ZR18 Bridgestone run-flats, mounted on 18" chrome wheels, with the gold Lexus badge in the center.

This package was approx. a $3,500.00 option at the time.

Given the high cost of replacing these tires, and the rather stiff ride of such low-profile tires, I would like to replace this set-up with something more comfortable, higher mileage, and less expensive, if this is possible.

Is there a smaller wheel/tire combination that any member out there would recommend?

Is there a way of trading my set-up for a less expensive option, with as little extra cost as possible? Should I check out any particular tire shops that might do a trade?

Would going to perhaps as small as a 16" wheel/tire combo make a noticeable difference in ride comfort, tire noise, longevity, etc?

Thanks so much for the advice!! I'm just a "newbie" Lexus owner who's nervous!!..=)

Kind Regards,

Ramon