1992 Scanner Type?

nsjoel808

what kind of scanner do you use for a 92 es300? obd ii? I heard that that was 94 and up, also where do you plug in? under hood or in car? the connection under the hood has some sort of grease all over it. the car runs crappy but there is no check engine light on

For 92, you use the underhood connector that is covered in grease. You short E1 and TE1 together ( most people will use a paperclip ). The check engine light will flash the code.

In 94 they went to obd ii, the connector is located in the passenger cabin, under the dash, by the steering wheel. OBD ii can be read with several different type of scanners, professional scanners will not only read codes, but can issue commands to the engine, tranny, and abs computer.

Not all problems will store a code, with OBD i less things are monitored than OBD ii. Check for codes, also check the overall egnine condition. How long has it been since the last tuneup? Has the fuel filter even been replaced? I am even guilty of the last one, and I am a mechanic.

Check vac hoses for splits, cracks. Do not forget the PCV valve, it is located by cyl #1 and is hard to see (I know, I also have a 92). Make sure the the pvc grommet is in good shape, many people will overlook this, but if it is leaking, it will allow un-metered air into the engine. On my car, the previous owner decided to wrap electrical tape around the valve instead of replacing the grommet with a new one. The new gromment cost all of $2.00 at a local auto parts store.

If you do a tuneup, remember to inspect the old spark plugs closely, they can show you a lot of what is going on in your engine.

thanks for all the advice, I need to do a lot of work, is there anyway to get it professionally scanned to find out exactly whats wrong, this method looks kinda hectic. also the speedometer doesn't work what do you think could cause this, do i need a new speed sensor? how would you inspect plugs to find out whats going on in my engine? thanks for all your help.

There is a sticky at the top of the page, that will tell you where to download manuals. I would suggest starting there.

I would then look at the basics, how long has it been since the last tuneup? What do the cap, rotor and plugs look like. Do a tuneup before getting into advance troubleshooting.

The speedometer problem complicates the troubleshooting a little because the ECM (engine control module) uses the same input as your speedometer to adjust the running parameters of the engine. Does the car idle well/smoothly? If the idle is good, and things like the cap and rotor are in good shape. I would recomend looking into the speedometer issue before looking at the engine.

So assuming that the car idles well, the manual would be a tremendous help to you. It will show you where the sensor, the related connectors, even waveforms to expect.

On a side note, have any of the dash lights been replace recently, if so the screws that secure the backplane pcb in the gauge cluster should be checked. If any of the 4 screws for the speedometer is loose, this will cause the speedometer failure, (unfortunatly that would not explain why the car is running poorly