Tku Blk_on_blk - Hatch Struts

pauljcl

Thank you, blk_on_blk! You will recall that you guided me re: the purchase and replacmeent of the rear hatch struts for the Rx300, and I put them in yesterday. It was a little tight to fit them (needed very strong 'lifting' of the hatch door to get them to fit in), but they are in now and work perfectly. Thank you for all your help. Well thought out and very useful!

Paul

Hey Paul, you are very welcome! Glad to hear it was of some help. I always try to pass on a good find when I come across one. Also, sorry for the slow reply... I just got back from a couple weeks in Mexico.

Again, glad to hear everything reassembled well for you, and you are right that they are a bit stronger/longer than the factory's, but mine have smoothed out after a month or so of use (plus it's amazing how heavy the rear hatch really is without the support of the struts).

Lee

Hey Paul, you are very welcome! Glad to hear it was of some help. I always try to pass on a good find when I come across one. Also, sorry for the slow reply... I just got back from a couple weeks in Mexico.

Again, glad to hear everything reassembled well for you, and you are right that they are a bit stronger/longer than the factory's, but mine have smoothed out after a month or so of use (plus it's amazing how heavy the rear hatch really is without the support of the struts).

Lee

Actually, Lee, my new struts are working fine 'out of the box'. It is a real pleasure to feel the hatch be so much more responsive, and to both open and close so easily, even in the cold weather we found in Michigan over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks again!!

Paul

I've got a 99 RX300. Bought new hatch stuts but can't get the oldd ones off. How do I get the old ones off???

Four bolts for each strut, at the end of the struts. Two upper and two lower.

Paul

Thanks for your help Paul. I found out why I was having trouble. Partsbylou.com did not include the brackets where the ball goes into and attaches to the hatch. I'll be getting these brackets next week. That should help! ;)

Yes, that is essential!

(I assume you read the reply I had sent on your other post?)

You'll see: it is really neat how the hatch opens and closes with the new struts... with the passage of time, one forgets how 'easy' it was!

Paul,

Got the correct struts and installed them in 15 minutes. And yes, the hatch springs up like new, and rests at a higher level. No more near concussions after banging my head on the lip of the hatch anymore. Thanks for your help!!

Buzz

You're very welcome. I'm glad it worked fine. Tks. also to blk_on_blk who provided the initial links, info. and 'how-to'.

Paul