Horn Switch Or Relay?

AzHotLS

95 LS400

My horn doesn't work when pushing on the steering wheel. They do work if I remove the horn relay cover and close the contacts. They also work if I push the Panic button on the keyless entry.

Is it the horn switch in the steering wheel or the relay? I've looked at other threads here but nothing specifically answers my situation. If it is the horn switch, is it something I can replace myself or need to have someone do it (don't want airbag going off)?

If the alarm panic button operates the horn it means the fuse is OK as it is a common feed.

If you can get to the horn relay wiring you should see a green/red wire this is the one that goes to the alarm and the horn push on the steering wheel.

If you connect this wire to earth at the relay and the horn works the relay is OK.

Then you have to trace this wire to the horn push on the steering wheel.

I kind of figured the fuse and relay were probably good if the horn sounded with the panic button.

I don't know if you can get to any wiring under the fuse/relay box under the hood, but I'll see what I can do.

I haven't had a chance to check the wires yet, but I saw in this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=29585

where it mentioned the Clockspring. If my cruise control (and car phone control buttons) still work, can I rule out the clockspring?

Again, is it safe for me to remove the center portion of the steering wheel?

One of the repair receipts the previous owner gave me mentions the horn not working and the owner deferring repair. It said the coil in the steering wheel was bad. I guess it is the clockspring after all. I hope I can find one cheep somewhere.

I'm still hoping someone can tell me if it's a safe thing to do myself.