Ride Between Rx350 And Rx400h

Hi all,

New to this site. I am looking into buy either the 2009 RX350 or the 2008 RX400h. I read a lot of posts here and hoping to swing my decision one way or the other. There are good opinions here but not quite address to my two concerns for the RX400h VS RX350.

I test drive both new RX400h and RX350. I am hoping the existing owners or someone has driven them before can give me their valuable opinion. Here are some of my test drive observation comparing with the two SUV and my questions.

1) I love the RX400h when it is stop at traffic. It is dead silence. I don't like car vibrate when aged. But I notice about 10%-15% of the time, the engine engaged. So I hear/feel small hum and the steering wheel vibrate a bit like the RX350. Does this increase in percentage after awhile? May be because the battery get deteriorated and not get fully charge so to occur more often?

2) I notice when it speed up to 40KM to 50KM, there is a vibration when the gas engine engages. Does this go away or more noticable when the car get break-in/older? Because of the vibration, do you still feel it is as luxury compare to RX350? Or just get used to? Will it go away or get worst?

3) I like the CVT

How do you rate between the two?

I am not concern about the price or the fuel consumption between the two. I just want to get one that I will be more happy with.

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

New to this site. I am looking into buy either the 2009 RX350 or the 2008 RX400h. I read a lot of posts here and hoping to swing my decision one way or the other. There are good opinions here but not quite address to my two concerns for the RX400h VS RX350.

I test drive both new RX400h and RX350. I am hoping the existing owners or someone has driven them before can give me their valuable opinion. Here are some of my test drive observation comparing with the two SUV and my questions.

1) I love the RX400h when it is stop at traffic. It is dead silence. I don't like car vibrate when aged. But I notice about 10%-15% of the time, the engine engaged. So I hear/feel small hum and the steering wheel vibrate a bit like the RX350. Does this increase in percentage after awhile? May be because the battery get deteriorated and not get fully charge so to occur more often?

2) I notice when it speed up to 40KM to 50KM, there is a vibration when the gas engine engages. Does this go away or more noticable when the car get break-in/older? Because of the vibration, do you still feel it is as luxury compare to RX350? Or just get used to? Will it go away or get worst?

3) I like the CVT

How do you rate between the two?

I am not concern about the price or the fuel consumption between the two. I just want to get one that I will be more happy with.

Thanks in advance

I did test drive the RX350 before I decided on the Rx400h, back in June this year. The reason for Rx400h choice is mainly on the carbon foot print. Also, there are government rebates, and sales discount is higher, so overall, it is a better deal. I cannot tell the doffernce between the rides, since I only test drove them for a short distance (cannot really call it a test drive). But I do like the cvt, now that I am driving it. 400h does make a strange breaking noise from the motor/generator mode. But I got used to it fast. Also, you are right, I do feel the vibration when the engine comes on, but it is better than having the engine noise and vibration all the time. In fact, when it comes on it gives you the confirmation that things are working properly. If you drive in town a lot waiting for traffic jam, you will feel less stressed out because of the lack of noise and vibration.

Do not buy it based on saving fuel (hardly worth the rate of return). Buy it based on the fact that it has less emission, and do a little bit for the environment. Besides, it has a nice "hybrid" badge on it.

I do notice the braking noise but it doesn't bother me. It sound like a plane come to a stop, at the end of the test drive, I don't notice it any more.

Do you remember the vibration vibrates more or less compare to when you first have the RX400h?

No, I do not notice it any more than when it was new, but then I only have a few thousand km on it.

Our 400h gas engine kicks in as soon as you start out from a stop unless you're going very slow in a parking lot. It turns off while coasting or braking and restarts when you get back on the accelerator, the cruising restarts are seamless and almost unnoticeable. You do notice a slight vibration when you start out from a stop and when you really stomp on it, the gas engine does make a fair amount of noise. In normal highway cruising, it's probably the quietest car we've ever owned. I like the CVT tranny as well, very smooth. I've heard the shifts in the 350 tranny are a little "clunky" but I've never driven one. The hybrid does make a slight whining noise when braking and it takes a steady/smooth foot on the brake pedal to avoid "jerky" stops, but you learn to adjust to that quickly.

Our primary motive in getting the hybrid was so the wife could use the Virginia HOV lanes in her commute to DC, a big time saver for her. Now that gas prices are back down to reasonable levels, the gas savings payback would be too long to justify it on that alone.

Even if we didn't get the HOV lane advantage, we'd probably get another 400h over a 350, but it would be by a slim margin, not a big one.

Our friends have had a RX 300 (330?) for a number of years and many miles of repair-free driving (normal maintenance only). They love it.

I would guess the handling/ride characteristics would be very similar.

One important note, the AWD systems on the two are very different. There's no center differential on the 400h, the only drive to the rear wheels is the rear electric motor which is controlled by the computer. SOME people have experienced problems with this in ice and snow. You cannot be heavy footed and just plow through the slop like you can in a Jeep, Range Rover, or Audi. The manual even says NOT to take the 400h off-road as it could damage the hybrid drive system. If you tend to "muscle" through the slop, a Jeep, Range Rover, or Audi allroad would be a better option. BUT, none of them would have the reliability of a Lexus.

I have an 06 RX 400h, and every time i bring it in for regular service the loaner car is a rx350, and every time i remark how different they are.

(1) The RX400h is faster, and feels safer for over taking maneuvers

(2) The Rx350 gearbox is clunky next to the cvt, no comparison ,I don't like the jerky kickdown on the RX350 gearbox.

(3) The RX400h is much quieter on the highway, it's noticeable and makes long drives that much more enjoyable.

(4) I average 25 MPG in the 400h.

IMHO The only reason to choose the 350 over the 400h is the cost.

Regarding the shaking when the engine turns off, I have found that it depends on the type of gas you use. The higher octane gas makes the shake occur less , it bugged me when I first got the vehicle, but I do not notice it anymore.

I had a Rx 350 before, with air suspension and a Rx 400H now, obviously without.

The 350 had a nicer ride, suspension wise, more stability, more comfortable.

The 400H points are the fantastic gearbox and the silence. I don't think it is more noisy than the 350H although sometimes, have no idea why, the engine is more noisy and vibrating than other times, but mostly for brief periods and if it disturbs me I just take my foot for a few seconds of the acc. and it is fine again.

Braking with the 400H is something you have to get accustomed to, it can be awkward at times.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the 400H, I get on average around 400 miles out of a full tank.

A shame the new model they presented on the LA autoshow is so bland.

I had a Rx 350 before, with air suspension and a Rx 400H now, obviously without.

The 350 had a nicer ride, suspension wise, more stability, more comfortable.

The 400H points are the fantastic gearbox and the silence. I don't think it is more noisy than the 350H although sometimes, have no idea why, the engine is more noisy and vibrating than other times, but mostly for brief periods and if it disturbs me I just take my foot for a few seconds of the acc. and it is fine again.

Braking with the 400H is something you have to get accustomed to, it can be awkward at times.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the 400H, I get on average around 400 miles out of a full tank.

A shame the new model they presented on the LA autoshow is so bland.

Well, the new model is, thankfully, not as radical as the concept vehicle. Not too much different then ours which I think is a great looking vehicle and very functional.

As I stated earlier, and s10 confirmed, the braking is probably the biggest thing to get used to. It takes a smooth foot to avoid "jerky" stops.

We've owned some really nice cars, the 400h replaced an Audi S6 (race car in soccer/hockey mom transport disguise). This may be the nicest car we've ever owned with the possible exception of my 1986 Porsche 944 (that was a great car).