94 Ls400 Traction Control Question

RayB

I recently bought a 1994 LS400 and found out that it has Traction Control. Being that Ohio's winters can be rough at times and I am used to driving a 4x4 truck I was wondering how good is the LS400 Traction Control, is it 4-wheel traction control like a Audi or BMW or only 2 wheel? I realize that I may have to get better tires on it than it has already. I will be driving it about 140 miles a day this winter. Any information that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. I am new to the Traction Control system. Thank You in advance.

My advice is to get blizzaks (sp) for your car if you anticipate driving in snow regularly. The first genation traction control is more of a nervous nanny that has power over the brake pedal and engine rather than a modern traction control system. You can get a good idea of it by flooring the pedal from a stop in the rain and see what happens. It seems to be just an all or nothing kind of system. It basically just tells me when the car is losing traction, it has not helped me regain control, which is a REAL scary situation in a car as large as this.

If you would feel comfortable driving a camaro or mustang in the winter you will be the same with this one. With great snowtires the weight of the car is a plus and you should feel pretty darn safe out there. Good luck! ;)

I concur with the winter tire advice. I have driven 2 LSs over the past 5 winters in St. Paul, MN. The winter tires make a tremendous difference. I'm sure Blizzaks are fine tires but I have found cheaper alternatives such as Winterforce (from Firestone dealers) and Yokohamas to do a great job at about 50 - 60% of the price of Blizzaks. Your ABS will help with braking and the traction control will help slightly with drive wheel spin (definitely not 4wd) but the real key will be the winter tires - they have a softer compound and many sipes or cuts in the tread all providing improved traction in snow and on ice. Good luck and enjoy your LS.

4 wheel traction control? it'd have to be 4 wheel drive, right...?

anyway, my .02. i like the traction control that others don't on the 1st gen LS. it cuts power and then brakes both wheels at the same time, which is not as effective as doing them indep., but it works when one wants to start up. tires make a big difference- look at cons. reports for rating of how they perform in snow. you don't need snow tires if you get touring tires w/ good snow performance. i'm in oh, too.