Attaching Current Address Book To New Cell Phone

Had to replace my cell phone and in the process my address book seems to not be associated with this new phone (same model as previous). I can still use it to dial out but the screen no longer shows who is calling and instead shows the prompt "not supported" My assumption is that the address book is not associated with this new phone. Is there a way to tell the address book in the car to be associated with the new phone? I'm assuming that might be the problem but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open. I suppose it's not that big a deal but I'm just trying to figure out what changed and how to get that functionality back. :(

Thanks in advance,

Castlebury

Can you just delete your old phone from your car's Bluetooth system and then pair your new phone with it and download the address book from your new phone to the car's Bluetooth system?

Were you able to get the address book moved from your old phone to your new one? Were you able to move the SIM card, which might include the address book, from your old phone to your new phone? Or are you SOL and have to start over and manually enter the address book into your new phone. If you got your new handset from a major carrier and if your old handset was functioning at all, many carriers will move your phone book from your old phone to the new one for you if you ask them to.

If you don't already use one, there a variety of OEM and aftermarket PC software products for maintaining address books on phones and backing up address books and settings to a PC. Most allow importing address books from Outlook and other email programs. Some handset makers like Nokia provide the software free for download. The connection between the phone and the PC is by Bluetooth, Infrared or USB cable depending on the phone. Since my current PC doesn't have infrared built-in, I bought a USB infrared dongle last year for only $5 and use it to maintain our older model phones. I bought a USB Bluetooth dongle a few months ago for $10 and use it to maintain the phones of family members who have Bluetooth phones.

I keep a few unlocked handsets in reserve in case one of our phones fail. When my phone failed a few months ago, it took less than five minutes to initialize a new handset by restoring the address book (about 300 entries!) and all settings from backup files on my PC.

Can you just delete your old phone from your car's Bluetooth system and then pair your new phone with it and download the address book from your new phone to the car's Bluetooth system?

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I got the phones address book transfered to the new phone so good to go there. As I said I can use the cars address book to dial out on the phone and I did delete the old phone from the selectable phones in the car. At first the new phone got put as the second phone in the cars system so I thought perhaps that was the problem. I deleted both phones from the car and re-registered the new phone in the first slot but still get the same behavior. Odd.

I think your next suggestion of dumping my phone's address book into the car will be the likely fix. When I first got the car last year the phone that I had did not support that function so things were just input manually.

I'll let you know how things turn out. These are the things that keep me awake at night. :rolleyes: