1993 Gs300 Transmission Problem

I need help with a problem I'm having with my transmission. When I first start the car for the day (morning or evening) the transmission takes longer than normal shifting into drive (sometimes up to 20 seconds). Shifting into reverse is normal, with no problem. Only going into drive for the first time of the day. After it shifts into drive it works fine until till it is parked for an extended period. I have a 1993 GS300 with 280K on the miles. I changed the fluid with the recommended fluid Type T and the filter, thinking this would fix the problem but it has not fixed it. Would anyone have any ideas what this could be. Thank you for your time.

• 11 months later...

I need help with a problem I'm having with my transmission. When I first start the car for the day (morning or evening) the transmission takes longer than normal shifting into drive (sometimes up to 20 seconds). Shifting into reverse is normal, with no problem. Only going into drive for the first time of the day. After it shifts into drive it works fine until till it is parked for an extended period. I have a 1993 GS300 with 280K on the miles. I changed the fluid with the recommended fluid Type T and the filter, thinking this would fix the problem but it has not fixed it. Would anyone have any ideas what this could be. Thank you for your time.

did you ever get this problem solved?? mine is doing the same thing

Does this delay occur after it is warm ? The tranny has to warm up to 153 degrees before it will shift normally. The delay allows the tranny to warm up faster, So this is normal. My 98 GS is the same way. Or am I missing something here ???