Shifter Removal

lexus400

What screw?

The middle woodgrain piece should just pop right out.

You might need to provide a lot more detailed info of where you removed a screw, and what you've taken off already, and what you're trying to remove.

I already removed the woodgrain insert and shifter surround. On the right side of the shifter, there's a plug which covers a philips screw. I removed that but the shifter doesn't come off.

Just to be clear, I'm trying to remove the shifter itself (what your hand goes on).

thanks,

Bob

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am hoping for some more info on this shifter thing! My '92 shifter is really sloppy and also the light underneath is intermittent - I think I have a short under there somewhere since my stop light fuse has begun blowing (so no stop lights at all).

Can someone elaborate on how to get to the innards under the shifter stick where the pattern select switch, shift lock solenoid and other stuff lives? Do I have to take off the whole center arm-rest console thing? I have already taken off the center wood-grain thingy but I am stumped from there on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

fsuguy :P

jcrome04,

I pulled off the surround plastic piece from around the shifter and can actually see stuff now underneath the stick. Where are the two screws you mention? I have a sort of cover on the shifter knob (toward the console); do I take that off? Also, to eliminate the "sloppy" shift do I havta get under the car?

Thx

jcrome04,

thx for pointing that out. I have a '92 and don't see any screws at all on the handle (shifter). I think they may be under a cover on the front of the stick facing the console, though(?) not sure. Sorry to be dense, but what is IIRC?

Of course they are under covers! Small...screw head sized plastic covers! The LS doesn't have exposed screws in the cabin!

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.. you got it! ;)