Transmission Fluid Flush

OzCoLexus

This is on a 2000 RX300. Just wanted to doublecheck the obvious. Can I disconnect one of the cooler lines going to the radiator and attach a hose going to a bucket then start the engine and let the fluid run out while pouring new fluid in until I have bright red fluid coming out (after I replace/clean the filter and pan)? If so, how many quarts does it take for a complete flush/fill? Also is a replacement filter available for the Lexus or do you have to clean and replace the original? Sorry if this is a repeat. All that I found hinted at cleaning the screen and changing 4 or 5 quarts at a time over 5000 miles to replace the fluid. The method I describe is one I have used with success on a 74 Chevy, 2000 Ford, and 2000 Toyota with success. I didn't know if this transmission design would not allow this to be done or not. I have 110,000 (bought used at 100,000) with no trouble yet and want to keep it that way. Thanks.

This is on a 2000 RX300. Just wanted to doublecheck the obvious. Can I disconnect one of the cooler lines going to the radiator and attach a hose going to a bucket then start the engine and let the fluid run out while pouring new fluid in until I have bright red fluid coming out (after I replace/clean the filter and pan)? If so, how many quarts does it take for a complete flush/fill? Also is a replacement filter available for the Lexus or do you have to clean and replace the original? Sorry if this is a repeat. All that I found hinted at cleaning the screen and changing 4 or 5 quarts at a time over 5000 miles to replace the fluid. The method I describe is one I have used with success on a 74 Chevy, 2000 Ford, and 2000 Toyota with success. I didn't know if this transmission design would not allow this to be done or not. I have 110,000 (bought used at 100,000) with no trouble yet and want to keep it that way. Thanks.

OCL- the answers to your questions are yes. That is the way I prefer to do it. The way I do it (because I'm normally working alone) is to pull the pan, clean and also clean the screen (if it still has the original wire screen) and once the pan is replaced, add about 4 qts. of tranny fluid. I use the original Toyota T-IV fluid. If you have someone that can help, have them run it and shut it off the second you see the 1st. sign of air. If I'm working alone I just run around and do the same thing- no danger of damage in the 2 seconds it takes to do that. Another 4 qts. and the same thing. It should only take around 10 qts. to completely change the system. When the new red fluid comes through it's all at once, check and fill to full at full temp and you're done. I much prefer that way to the drain and fill 3 or 4 times and you know you have changed it all, and at one time! If the filter has been changed to fiber filter- see if you can get wire mesh- I think it might be better to maintain tranny pressure and then you never have to replace, only wash. The complete system shows as holding about 9 1/2- 9 3/4 qts. so if you get 11 you should have plenty and maybe a qt. or so for spare. I'm not sure that you're going to be able to pour in as fast as it can pump, that's why I said to do it the way I did. I have also used this method at other times and feel it is the best way to know it is all changed. Good Luck!

Thanks for the help. Since you have done this before, which side has the fluid coming out of the transmission line, drivers or passengers? Sure would save me a mess if I get the right line the first time. Thanks.

OCL- It's been a while and as I said though I'm the mechanic, the car is my DIL's. What I would do is loosen the line that is farthest from the bottom rad. hose. That at least should be the incoming line from the trans. You could take both of them off, put hoses on both of them and into a jug. That way you can tell without making a mess. The return line won't suck out of the jug, it doesn't have vacuum, only the pressure line has any work to do. The return line is only along for the ride and without it being hooked to the cooler, it should do nothing. Sorry I wasn't more help but that should eliminate any mess anyway.

Thanks for the help. Since you have done this before, which side has the fluid coming out of the transmission line, drivers or passengers? Sure would save me a mess if I get the right line the first time. Thanks.

There is a pic of which line to remove in this thread.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220061