Knocking Noise

Dozagirl

Hey, I'm glad I found this forum! I have a 2001 RX300 with 134,000 miles on it. Love my car except I'm hearing this strange knocking/clicking noise that sounds as if it is coming from the console area where the shift is. It doesn't matter if you are in park/drive/reverse it does the same thing. If the radio is on you can't hear it! I have no idea how long it has been doing this because I always have the radio on except for earlier this week when I didn't. Anyone else heard this before?

Ah yes, the "squirrel under the dash" sound. That's your valve solenoid switching mechanism for your HVAC (climate controls) system. Mine does the same thing, and if you do a search on here you'll find more info on it. Some have said you can remove it, pop it open, clean the contacts, and that will solve the 'roaming' that it does, or you can just replace the whole thing and be done with it. Mine controls the climate system just fine, so I'll just turn up the music until it starts to be problematic.

BTW, welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy your RX!!

I gave my husband the instructions that I found in my search for this and he did it in about 20 minutes and no more noise!!! Thanks so much for the information in this forum!! Now my car feels new again. I also found the information about how to change the bulb on the "D" on the control panel for the shift position and he fixed that as well. I truly feel like my car is new again plus the added fact that it was a free fix! Lexus would have charged me who knows how much for these 2 simple fixes.

Oh man, if it's that easy to repair, then I can spare 20 minutes. Can I ask which instructions you used? The ones posted by dcfish? Did your husband just clean the contacts as suggested and that's what remedied the problem?

Yes, it is post #42 under "Clicking Sound Under Glovebox" by dcfish. My husband used the additional comments that were in this post by spraying the solution mentioned instead of touching the contacts.

I rode for about 1/2 hour this morning and no noise!! It was wonderful and so quite.

Thanks Dozagirl! I think I'll dig into it this weekend, and probably look to replace the "D" light in my dash, too, for the only two things wrong on my RX are the same that were on yours: the solenoid clicking and the indicator light. I'll see if I can get some pics of the repair for others who want to do the same.

Thanks again.

Please let me know how easy this is. I just noticed that my "D" light is out also. Anything I can fix myself is a plus. Did some research on the threads, but still alittle spooked...

Yes Paticake, my husband said repairing the D light was the easiest of the two fixes. A small note about the clicking noise....it is back! He said there were two servos under the glove box and he only cleaned and sprayed the one easiest to get to. :censored: He'll have go go back and do the other one that isn't as easy to reach. Take note, clean and spray both of them! He just had knee surgery this morning, so I'll have to wait a month or two to get him back in there to fix the other one. Also, we will be swaping vehicles while he is recuperating because the RX is much easier to get into than his vehicle, 2008 Toyota Tundra. That thing feels as big as a tank! So now I get to drive the tank for a month or two and not my lovely RX! :cries:

I had read a few reports about the clicking coming back after cleaning, and one posting stated that replacement was the only sure-fire way to fix it. I'd be curious to hear if it is the original one that is clicking again, or if it's now the other one. I plan to use some contact paste that has a copper flake in it on the 'finger' contacts. We'll see how that does for ensuring good contact.

I too need to do some research on replacing the 'D' bulb, and I'll post pics when I can get to it. I'm hoping it's as easy as it was on our ES300. Any insights from your husband, Dozagril? Now that he's laid-up with a recent surgery and probably has some time to gleam some insight our way :)

Best wishes to your husband for a speedy recovery... and good luck driving the land-yacht for the next week or so.

Ah yes, the "squirrel under the dash" sound. That's your valve solenoid switching mechanism for your HVAC (climate controls) system. Mine does the same thing, and if you do a search on here you'll find more info on it. Some have said you can remove it, pop it open, clean the contacts, and that will solve the 'roaming' that it does, or you can just replace the whole thing and be done with it. Mine controls the climate system just fine, so I'll just turn up the music until it starts to be problematic.

BTW, welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy your RX!!

I had the same problem - replaced TWO of the solenoid switches under warranty. Dealer told me that there were three 'possibles', but that of the three, two were often the ones at fault. Worth changing both because of the work to get to them. Don't know more, but passing it on FWIW.

I too need to do some research on replacing the 'D' bulb, and I'll post pics when I can get to it. I'm hoping it's as easy as it was on our ES300. Any insights from your husband, Dozagril? Now that he's laid-up with a recent surgery and probably has some time to gleam some insight our way :)

Can't remember if it was this forum or the "other" one but I do recall some folks replacing the D light lamp with an LED instead of the bulb. Obviously the bulbs aren't meant for longevity (since most of ours are out) and if you replace with a standard bulb you may be back in the same boat in the near future. Personally I don't mind it being out, I don't even think about it but I can understand that some folks like to have everything working perfectly and I respect that.