Rear Cargo Carrier

We're taking our two dogs on vacation in November, and it's pretty clear that we can transport the dogs and some luggage in our RX400H, but not enough luggage for a 10 day vacation, let alone anything we might buy while there... So we're thinking of a rear cargo carrier like this guy THIS ONE.. We'll have to install a hitch and I've followed the links for that on this forum, but I haven't found much info on the rear cargo carriers. I was wondering if anyone has used them and if they have any cautions or preferred brands. I'm also concerned that at least one vendor seems to caution about rear exhaust potentially melting the carrier... is this a real concern?

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Hanging 350 pounds on the back of a small SUV like an RX sounds ... "interesting". I think I've seen large enclosed hitch mounted carriers like this only on the backs of big SUVs like Chevy Suburbans, on full size vans and on full size pickup trucks. Wouldn't this be like having a trailer tongue weight of 350 pounds? Still, it might be safer than a car top carrier.

At least the 400h has auto-leveling headlights -- you'd need them with a setup like this.

I can tell you that I have received excellent service from etrailer. The hitch on my 00 LS400 came from etrailer and they are "just down the road" (OK, 250 miles due east on I-70) in Wentzville, Missouri. When I had a minor problem with my last purchase, they seemed to be willing to spend as much time as necessary to make everything right.

I noticed that some of the hitch mounted unenclosed tray carriers that etrailer carries are far less expensive and a lot lighter. The Rola carrier, however, would make a much better beer cooler!

Have you considered a small enclosed luggage trailer? Small trailers are easy to tow. I've towed my lightly loaded (less than 1,000 pounds) little 4'x8' utility trailer with ease behind even a 62 horsepower Mercedes diesel sedan and I can't even feel it when towing in behind our LS. When we had a cruising sailboat on a buoy, I would load our dingy and everything we needed into the trailer almost every weekend during the summer. It was a breeze to pull and park. (I should tell you that I towed mobile homes when I was young, so towing and backing small trailers is particularly easy for me.)

I've seen small unenclosed utility trailers like I have for less than $400. One could even buy one like this http://www.discount-trailers.com/small-utility-trailer.htm and attach a huge locking enclosed car top shell carrier to it. I've seen small utility trailers at Home Depot for less money.

You could also consider renting a larger vehicle for your vacation. We almost never drive our own cars on extended vacations but then we are usually flying a couple thousand miles before driving.

Have you considered a small enclosed luggage trailer?

I've seen small unenclosed utility trailers ...

I'll be staying at a hotel. A trailer would be a real PIA to deal with, and might not make the Hotel too happy (I'm going to Montreal, so parking isn't free)

As to unenclosed, well, weather could be poor and then I'd worry about theft during road stops... :-/

I have a F150 too, with a great locking cover for the bed, but I wanted more comfort for the trip. I've taken the truck in the past, and it's a little harder finding parking... That's why I liked the carrier I linked to; I could take off the "pod" and fold up the tray, so the car's footprint wouldn't be that much bigger than without, surely smaller than my King Ranch...