Power Steering Problems

tony1992

Brought the car in for a power steering leak

Lexus, changed out ram, then said the pump is bad (because the steering locked up on a test drive). I went to pick up the car and fluid was still leaking. The changed out the ram again, and the pump again and installed new lines. Now I dont have a lead but the steering no longer feels controlled, it feels like a chevy not a quality rack and pinion steering. You can turn from stop to stop with little finger and 0 pressure.

Any ideas before I bring it back. I dont have a lot of faith in this dealer as it took them over 3 weeks to resolve the issue.(if it is resolved.

Input please

Your 92 SC has "Vehicle-speed-sensing, progressive power-assisted rack-and-pinion. 3.1 turns, lock to lock." according to the specs at http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1992/1992SCspecs.pdf

When you are stopped or driving at very low speeds, the steering from lock to lock should require very little effort but it should require more effort and give a little bit more "feel" as speed increases. I assume you were stopped when experiencing this "0 pressure" since one can't easily turn the steering wheel completely from lock to lock while driving.

Tire pressure makes a difference too. The tires on my 00 LS were at 28 psi Friday morning due to the cooler temperatures and I could immediately feel a difference in steering effort (it became lighter) after I increased the tire pressure only 3 psi to 31 psi.

I don't know about the 92 SC but my 90 LS steering was extremely light and lighter in feel than on my 00 LS. I suspect some of that difference was because the contact patch of the standard 205/65-15 tires on the 90 was smaller than the contact patch of the 225/60-16 of my 00 LS. The difference was particularly noticeable as I switched back and forth between driving the two cars over a period of weeks before selling the 90.

I don't know how the "vehicle-speed-sensing" feature works. I suppose there could be a problem on your car with this feature.

Have you had your SC a long time? Just curious.

Your 92 SC has "Vehicle-speed-sensing, progressive power-assisted rack-and-pinion. 3.1 turns, lock to lock." according to the specs at http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1992/1992SCspecs.pdf

When you are stopped or driving at very low speeds, the steering from lock to lock should require very little effort but it should require more effort and give a little bit more "feel" as speed increases. I assume you were stopped when experiencing this "0 pressure" since one can't easily turn the steering wheel completely from lock to lock while driving.

Tire pressure makes a difference too. The tires on my 00 LS were at 28 psi Friday morning due to the cooler temperatures and I could immediately feel a difference in steering effort (it became lighter) after I increased the tire pressure only 3 psi to 31 psi.

I don't know about the 92 SC but my 90 LS steering was extremely light and lighter in feel than on my 00 LS. I suspect some of that difference was because the contact patch of the standard 205/65-15 tires on the 90 was smaller than the contact patch of the 225/60-16 of my 00 LS. The difference was particularly noticeable as I switched back and forth between driving the two cars over a period of weeks before selling the 90.

I don't know how the "vehicle-speed-sensing" feature works. I suppose there could be a problem on your car with this feature.

Sorry about the duplicate entries, I am attempting to navigate thu the system. (next time I will read the instructions) I have had the 92 about a year. I bought it from a friend who had it in his garage for a few years. Its been a delight with the exception of problems you would expect with a 16 year old vehicle. I will have printed the knowlege center info you suggested and will bring it up to the dealership. thanks