10000 Mile Checkup

I have an 07 Lexus IS250 - not a lot of driving: about 8400 miles after 1 1/2 years. Is it necessary to take the car to a Lexus dealer to replace fluids and whatever else they do or can any certified mechanic do the same work. Also, is there anything special the Lexus Dealer would do that a mechanic wouldn't do?

Thanks

I have an 07 Lexus IS250 - not a lot of driving: about 8400 miles after 1 1/2 years. Is it necessary to take the car to a Lexus dealer to replace fluids and whatever else they do or can any certified mechanic do the same work. Also, is there anything special the Lexus Dealer would do that a mechanic wouldn't do?

Thanks

Hey there Palermo22...

I have to assume that you are asking in relation to concerns over potential warranty issues? Your owners guide spells out all of the required/suggested maintenance at each interval. You can take the car, and a list of what you would like done to any qualified mechanic for service. Just make sure to get a detailed receipt for the work done, so that, if an issue should arise, you have proof that you have done your due diligence with respect to your car's maintenance. The dealership cannot demand that you have your periodic service done only by them, nor can they void the warranty if you don't. I'm in the same position as you, in that I normally only put 6 or 7k per year on my car. By the time the 4 year contract is up on my IS, I will likely not even be at the 30k service yet! (An ideal car for their certified pre-owned inventory, and hopefully, a higher return on my trade!) I'll be getting all of my oil and filter changes done at the dealer, but only because I had them include an oil change service contract into my financing.

I also have low mileage with 17,000 in three years.

I buy oil filters from Irontoad and have my oil changed at a privately owned oil change shop.

If you don't get the miles, you should follow the "months" in the service manual.

The only fluid change coming up is brake fluid at 36 months. I plan to have this and the inspections done at the dealer. It also calls for air filter and cabin filter, but I do that myself with genuine parts from Irontoad.