Thinking Of Getting A 2000 Or Newer Gs300

Looking for a GS 2000 and up. What shortcomings should I expect? What are the average year expenses on this car? What are the common issues on the GS? Any information would be helpful. thank you

The GS got a lot of changes in 2001. More airbags, engine cover, bigger L on front grille, compass in rear view mirror, gauge trim looks like radio face material instead of dash material, Optional Mark Levinson Radio instead of Nakamichi, Optional HID on GS300 models. Yearly cost depends a lot on driving habits, but it is very dependable. However when something goes wrong, it's expensive unless you can do it yourself.

Nothing really breaks down on these cars but wear and tear is something you have to look for.... mainly suspension components... ball joints... ect...

Mechanically these cars are not too complicated. Do the usual checks that you would do on any car. Make sure the Tranny fluid is clean and doesn't smell burnt, and definitely get a carfax and any available maintenance records.

As far as parts go...

OEM brake pads run about $55

Timing belt job can run you $600-1000 depending on where you get it done... 2001+ models are VVTI engines and are interference engines which makes the timing belt job a lil more important because if your timing is bad... you just lossed an engine.

OEM control arms - $500 or so...

Uses the same oil filters as V6 Camry's so don't ever let some oil change place say, "it needs a special filter"

Factory Audio systems are known to have some display flaws but other than that I can't think of anything.

The GS3 is a very solid and well made car. If it has been well maintained you should have no real issues.... just don't expect a fuel miser.

Some common problems that I have had are more from under use. Lights that you push the button for like map lights front and rear. I have to use them once in a while or they won't turn on until you work them 10 times or so. My radio display sometimes fades out (I bought a Lexus Extended Warranty that covers that). The car sat for a long time (long story) and the rotors rusted, but even so they stop fine unless you have an emergency they vibrate. On my 98 GS I had a door module fail to turn on courtesy lights when door opened (got a used module for $75). 98 Gs again O2 sensor failed. On the 2001 a 3 yr old kid stole my keys and I was gonna be in for $1000 for a computer and $250 for each new key, but Lexus as a one time courtesy gave me the computer and just charged $100 for the labor to put it in. And I got the keys online at a Lexus dealer for a lot less than $250. Seems like on my 98 and 01 the right hand rear door handle makes a funny noise when opening. And on both the front passenger window has a bit more noise than the others. On my 98 I had the window adjusted to fix. On my 01 haven't bothered. On the 98 the Throttle Position Sensor went wacky, nothing yet on the 01. Ball joints went up on the 98 - expensive. I was afraid to do the work myself at first because of the mystery of Lexus and foreign cars, but soon found out that it is fairly easy to work on. Hey! Wake Up! :D

yeah, i was thinking the same thing! but i called lexus dealership and asked about the timing belt change. they said i should schedule an appointment with them once i car reached 90,000 miles. well, i guess i still have 10K to go.