Driver Seat Wear

drummr

I have a 2005 Lexus LS430 and at 25K miles I noticed the piping on the driver seat wearing and had it replaced under warranty. Again at 47K miles the same wear was apparent and Lexus replaced it again. Now at 66K miles it is worn again. I have been careful to try and minimize getting into and out of the car to no avail. I don't wear jeans with rivets or other clothing that might catch or wear this piping. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a solution other than seat covers which negate the AC & heated seat feature.

Drummr in St. Louis

Drummr,

You have to get into the car differently. Most of us face forward (toward the front bumper 12 o'clock position) as we get into the car. If you face sideways (like you are looking out the drivers window 9 o'clock position) sit down, then swing your feet in you will minimize wear on the seat and left side of the seatback.

As funny as this sounds the response is correct.. i have a older Camaro that has had custom leather interior put in it. Due to the dyed color of the interior being almost stainless steel color it is a pain to replace. A few months after I had the interior put in it was wearing out extremely quick. Not bad just noticable if you looked close. The interior shop replaced it.... now it needs replacing again. I have noticed that when I get in the car I get in like what was said by Lex..in the 12oclock position...pushing my body weight against the back of the seat in a slide. When I changed the way I enter the car. It has stopped wearing the seat out in that manner... this may not be the answer to your problem but it did fix mine...

Drummr,

You have to get into the car differently. Most of us face forward (toward the front bumper 12 o'clock position) as we get into the car. If you face sideways (like you are looking out the drivers window 9 o'clock position) sit down, then swing your feet in you will minimize wear on the seat and left side of the seatback.

And keep screwdrivers out of those back pockets! :D