Ignition Key - Unlock Button Opens Windows

rb.arch

RX300, 2000

Accidentially, I have open all windows and the sunroof as well, unknown to me. This has happened twice in the last 30 days or so, while inside my home for the evening. I carry the ignition keys inside my pants pocket along with my house key which is on a separate ring. Somehow the "unlock" button is pushed and held long enough to activate the motorized windows and roof. In the morning I find everything open and the front seat full of pine cone pieces, twigs and leaves, thanks to the squirrels far above. So far it hasn't rained durning the night!

I am told that this feature can be disabled. Certainly it is relatively simple and does not require a trip to the dealer. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

RB.Arch

RX300, 2000

Accidentially, I have open all windows and the sunroof as well, unknown to me. This has happened twice in the last 30 days or so, while inside my home for the evening. I carry the ignition keys inside my pants pocket along with my house key which is on a separate ring. Somehow the "unlock" button is pushed and held long enough to activate the motorized windows and roof. In the morning I find everything open and the front seat full of pine cone pieces, twigs and leaves, thanks to the squirrels far above. So far it hasn't rained durning the night!

I am told that this feature can be disabled. Certainly it is relatively simple and does not require a trip to the dealer. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

RB.Arch

I never carry my keys in my pants pocket while I'm in the house. The key ring has my house keys on it so as soon as I come in the door the keys go in the deadbolt lock on the inside of the door. If you have a deadbolt on the door and you have a fire you sure as heck don't want to be hunting for your keys to get out.

I'm with Code58 about just changing habits to not carry the keys in your pocket. Even if you disable the auto-roll-down, you still have the possibility of activating the panic button (as I did the other night with the keys in my pocket and leaning on the kitchen counter) if you are activating the unlock/roll-down. Just taking out your keys is better than trying to disable the auto feature, but that's just my 2C's.

The attached list of customizable features is labeled for a 99 RX but I think the 00 RX is the same. A scan tool and appropriate program card is required to customize the settings -- they don't come cheap. Lexus dealers and some indie repair shops have the tools needed to customize the settings. The labor time for customizing the settings is likely between 1/2 and 1 hour. The customization is done at no cost during the 1,000 mile maintenance after the initial new car purchase.

FYI, I've had my 2000 LS400 for five years and have never had my windows and sunroof accidentally open due something in my pants pocket pressing against the unlock button on the key -- and my car is parked in a garage less than 20 feet from where I usually sit in my living room. I wonder if the unlock button on your key is defective. Do you have another key you could use to see if you get the same result? Are you suffering from TPS? ("tight pants syndrome", LOL).

CBES.pdf

The attached list of customizable features is labeled for a 99 RX but I think the 00 RX is the same. A scan tool and appropriate program card is required to customize the settings -- they don't come cheap. Lexus dealers and some indie repair shops have the tools needed to customize the settings. The labor time for customizing the settings is likely between 1/2 and 1 hour. The customization is done at no cost during the 1,000 mile maintenance after the initial new car purchase.

FYI, I've had my 2000 LS400 for five years and have never had my windows and sunroof accidentally open due something in my pants pocket pressing against the unlock button on the key -- and my car is parked in a garage less than 20 feet from where I usually sit in my living room. I wonder if the unlock button on your key is defective. Do you have another key you could use to see if you get the same result? Are you suffering from TPS? ("tight pants syndrome", LOL).

I have 2003 RX-300 (just bought it) and does this car has window-open feature with the remote door control?

I do I find out if I have it or not? It will be so cool..

Thanks fo the info.

cy

I have 2003 RX-300 (just bought it) and does this car has window-open feature with the remote door control?

I do I find out if I have it or not? It will be so cool..

Just hold the unlock button on the key down when when you are within 25-30 feet of your car. I use this feature almost every day in the summer when approaching my car.

This has actually become a common feature on even fairly inexpensive cars -- an almost bottom of the line Honda Accord I rented in Florida in summer 2007 had the same feature.

I got a chuckle out of your "tight pants syndrome" comment. I am well over 60 and been out of the tight pants for many years. Love pleats and "relaxed" cut pants. Thanks for the attached instructions. The PDF describing the process and the necessary tools seems a bit much for me to tackle. But, thanks to you, now I know what some of the options are! So, as a work-around, I think I will try swapping my house key ring with the softer items (wallet, etc.) I carry in the opposite pocket. I don't have another "buttoned" ignition key to compare, so if the condition persists, I may have to go to the dealer. Better start putting aside half of my paycheck!

I got a chuckle out of your "tight pants syndrome" comment. I am well over 60 and been out of the tight pants for many years. Love pleats and "relaxed" cut pants. Thanks for the attached instructions. The PDF describing the process and the necessary tools seems a bit much for me to tackle. But, thanks to you, now I know what some of the options are! So, as a work-around, I think I will try swapping my house key ring with the softer items (wallet, etc.) I carry in the opposite pocket. I don't have another "buttoned" ignition key to compare, so if the condition persists, I may have to go to the dealer. Better start putting aside half of my paycheck!

Only half? You must make more than the rest of us. LOL :D