Front Shocks Leaking

pdelgado

I have a 2001 LX470 w/ 59,000 miles. I recently noticed the front shocks are leaking. They're not dripping fluid, but the inner shock body is wet. The tank shows a difference of 7 grads. between H and L, but I notice when I push down on the front, it is much stiffer than the rear. Do you think the accumulators are flat,or did the shocks just blow a seal? The ride seems to feel normal,but it's strange that both shocks would start leaking at the same time. I do all my own oil changes, although the dealer did do the 60,000 service about 4,000 mi. ago. I had also been driving it on some fire roads a few weeks back. Although the shocks are wet, they don't seem to be getting wetter. Fluid in the tank has'nt dropped. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2001 LX470 w/ 59,000 miles. I recently noticed the front shocks are leaking. They're not dripping fluid, but the inner shock body is wet. The tank shows a difference of 7 grads. between H and L, but I notice when I push down on the front, it is much stiffer than the rear. Do you think the accumulators are flat,or did the shocks just blow a seal? The ride seems to feel normal,but it's strange that both shocks would start leaking at the same time. I do all my own oil changes, although the dealer did do the 60,000 service about 4,000 mi. ago. I had also been driving it on some fire roads a few weeks back. Although the shocks are wet, they don't seem to be getting wetter. Fluid in the tank has'nt dropped. Any thoughts? Thanks.

As long as the vehicle rides good, the accumulators are fine. I suggest you add 1 quart of AMSOIL Shock THerapy-5 to the AHC reservoir. This is an excellent hydraulic fluid with additives that will help keep the shock seals soft and working. Slight seepage is normal. Drips on the pavement a little too much. Check the color of the AHC reservoir--if the fluid is not clear to very light amber--it was not changed. Some ne wOEM fluid has a light RED tint to it.

To check the accumulators, drive one wheel at a time up on a curb (gently, then back off quickly to 'drop' it onto the pavement. Good accumulators will absorb the bump, flat ones will be bouncy-bouncy.