Power Radio Antenna

texasbigdog

Hello out there,

The power radio antenna on my 97 LS400 has given up the ghost. I dismantled it, the toothed nylon cord that extends and retracts the mast is broken. I have in extended mode and it works well, just a problem at car washes etc.

Questions:

1. Can that nylon cord be replaced or do I need to scrap the entire unit.

2. Where can you get the unit other than dealer - not many on Ebay for sale

3. What other year models use the same unit

4. Has anyone tried a generic until

Thanks

Texas Big Dog

97 LS400 158K miles

00 LS400 25K miles

I believe you can replace the mast which includes the nylon cord and the metal shaft that extends when powered. There should be no need to replace the entire motor as long as it is in good condition.

Tom

I belive that to be true, also.

The parts catalog lists a part called "Lexus OEM Sealed W/cable,pipe and rod". #86337-50141

I think it goes for around $65. Check with your favorite Lexus parts department to see if this is correct and for availability. Also check to see if you may need any small parts that are not in the kit. I always hate it when I get something put back together and upon installation discover I need another goofy little part that is sold separately. It appears that the same antenna assembly is used on the LS400's from 1995 to at least '98.

Personally, I would try to replace the mast with genuine Lexus parts before going with a generic. You can get them to work, but alot of the time you will have to modify the mounting hole in the sheet metal or change the antenna cable or electrical connector and if it does'nt have a relay that works with your radio, you'll have to wire in an up/down switch. Or go cheap and buy an old style manual antenna. That's the least expensive way to go, no worrying about electrical connections.

Gents,

I replaced the antenna on my son's 1994 ES. The antenna comes attached to the nylon toothed retractor/extender. I purchased one on Ebay. The one I purchased came with directions on how to install. It was pretty simple. A second person is helpful. As I recall you have to slide the nylon toothed part in the right direction or the motor gears won't grab it. While one of you holds the antenna have someone else start the car and turn the radio off. That should retract it. When you take the motor apart to remove the broken nylon toothed part make sure you wipe it out and put new lithium grease in. The ebay antenna was easy to install and inexpensive.