Help! Lx470 Gas Pedal Squeak / Rubbing Noise!

la4200

I have a 2004 LX470 - owned it since new. Recently the gas pedal has been squeaking (inside the car). In addition, it feels like it is rubbing so you can't get a smooth feel when you push down on the accelerator pedal. The noise appears to be coming from one of two places under the dash just above the actual gas pedal (accelerator pedal):

1> where there is a plastic bushing rubbing inside a metal housing - as you move the accelerator, it slides up and down.

2> where there is a spring wound around a metal housing - as you move the accelerator, the spring moves back and forth around the metal housing.

In either case, I have tried to use lithium grease to stop the rubbing. All it seems to do is cause more squeaking! I talked to the local dealer and they say I need to replace my entire gas pedal assembly at a cost of $570 plus installation costs. There has got to be a way to stop this problem without spending that much money. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thank You,

Michael