When Breaks Pressed, Various Dash Lights Start Flashing

stevie_ray

I have a 96 ES300 and when I press my breaks, the ABS, Cruise Control, and Airbag dash lights start flashing. They stop flashing, however, when I press down hard on the breaks. Do I have some sort of short going on here?

Does it act up every time you press on your brakes?

N.C.O.

I have a 96 ES300 and when I press my breaks, the ABS, Cruise Control, and Airbag dash lights start flashing. They stop flashing, however, when I press down hard on the breaks. Do I have some sort of short going on here?

Does it act up every time you press on your brakes?

N.C.O.

Yes. When I start the car, the lights do not flash; but as soon as I press the breaks, all or some of the the lights I listed begin to flash. As I mentioned before, when I press down hard on the break pedal, the lights stop flashing. I even pressed down hard on the breaks, turned on the cruise control, and then released the breaks. The lights, including the cruise control light, began flashing again. I'm hoping that it's just a short or a fuse going bad somewhere, but I figured I would check here first in the event that someone had already experienced the same thing.

It's probably not a short. Most likely an open ground connection for the dash panel.

Another place you might check is the brake lamps themselves. Stand behind the car while someone presses the brakes. Do the bulbs all light up correctly?

Check anywhere you have a wire connecting to the chassis. When you stand on the brakes, you are flexing the dash to make just enough contact.

It's probably not a short. Most likely an open ground connection for the dash panel.

Another place you might check is the brake lamps themselves. Stand behind the car while someone presses the brakes. Do the bulbs all light up correctly?

Check anywhere you have a wire connecting to the chassis. When you stand on the brakes, you are flexing the dash to make just enough contact.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll check that right away and see if I can find any loose connections in the dash panel. That sounds like a reasonable evaluation. I'll let you know if I still am incurring any problems after checking what you suggested.