Ls400 98 Hid Headlight

The Pir@te

Dear all,

I bought a used 98 LS400 recently and I found that the headlights are standard halogen not xenon ones.

My friend has got the same car and he told me that it comes OE installed as standard and equipped with xenon ballast and bulbs.

My question is how can I know whether the ballast ware there or not and how can I install one if not....

I found a picture of an OE ballast from toyota..

post-23032-1220084520_thumb.jpg

The halogen headlight units and the HID headlight units are not the same. If you look on the lower right corner of the drivers side headlights lens you will see the bulb type - mine says D2R. Yours will say something else - maybe H4 or HB2.

Also, I don't think your car has the autoleveling system that kicks in each time the car is started. Its an important feature for HID to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. Sure you can add an HID to any H4 light unit but oncoming drivers are not going to be happy.

In fall 1997 I test drove, back to back, 98 LS400s with and without HID at an introduction event at a Lexus dealer. Except for the light of the HID being whiter, I found the coverage of the HID and H4 headlights to be about the same. The big benefit of the HID system is autoleveling which keeps your headlights from pointing at the tree tops with the car is heavily loaded.

I recently posted information on how to refinish the plastic headlight lenses -> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=50816

If your lenses are worn and cloudy, refinishing the lens surfaces will vastly improve light output.