Need Some Advice, New Rx300 Purchase Planned Possibly!

cfiiman

I disagree with the poster that said that black on an RX was not clear coated. I spent a lot of years in body work and can tell you for a fact that it's been many years since there was ANYTHING that was not clear coated- even the white trucks and cheap economy cars. I personally don't care for black (had 1 black truck and decided no more black vehicles for me), they're just too hard to keep looking nice, to say nothing of being HOT in the summer.

"it's been many years since there was ANYTHING that was not clear coated" is a generalization that is close to 100% true. However, Lexus does not clear coat all it's blacks along with some of the other colors. That's how they get that Lexus deep black look. This was common knowledge a few years back and discussed quite often over at CL.

Just Google "lexus black no clear coat". You should find more than enough to convince yourself.

Well, Mickey, that sure proves I don't know everything and there are still new things to learn. I frankly can't even imagine in this day and age ANY auto manufacturer not clear coating all of their cars. All of the complaints about the black Lexus's being scratched by their free car wash is evidence of why they clear coat pretty much everything today (and for a long time now). Base coat/ clear coat is a whole different paint than single stage. The base coat is like water because it applies ONLY the color- no body. The clear coat is a very hard urethane and is your protection. In fact, cars today have probably less than half the thickness of total paint that they had when they used only single stage. The clear is so hard (not brittle- there's a difference) that it doesn't wear off and also doesn't chip in the same way it did when they used single stage and had to put more total paint on. I personally wouldn't want to go back to single stage. I think Lexus had their head somewhere other than on their shoulders to use single stage in modern times. If you want to get sick about your black paint job, take a light (like a drop light or "trouble light") at night and hold it up to your paint. (in the dark with no other source of light) It looks like MUD!! To be fair most colors look pretty bad but black is pretty dramatic. I don't care how good it looks in the day- it's gonna show it's ugly side at night under those circumstances. :)