'96 Ls400 A/c Leak

Banshee365

Hey guy's. I've searched the forums and couldn't quite find what I'm looking for. 1996 LS400 is leaking it's refrigerant out after about a month or so. A shop has put dye in the system twice and can't find any leaks, it must be really slow. From what I've read the front shaft seal on the compressor starts to leak after a while. The cars has about 190k miles. I priced a new compressor through Toyota at around $700! They have a "gasket repair kit" for like $65, they said it had several round seals. If replacing the seals in a working compressor a job I can do on my shop table or should I have an A/C shop rebuild it? I've read about people replacing all of the o-rings in the system and I was wandering where you could get these o-rings and where they are located, I'm guessing at just all of the connections to the various parts?

One more question, the blower doesn't blow very hard at all out of the dash. It makes a bunch of noise like it's blowing like crazy but on high at the vents it feels like it's on low. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks so much for the help in advance, we all know how hot it is now-a-day's and how A/C is very important.

-Kelly

Bump please.

If there is dye in the system and the compressor is leaking, it would have been detected during an inspection. Since it wasn't not detected, I doubt very much that the compressor is the cause of the leak. Furthermore you are also having problem with air flow from the from the vents, I would speculate that you may have an evaporator core that is leaking or your cabin filter is plugged. If the evaporator core is leaking then there is a chance that the a/c oil from the system could coated the outside of the evaporator core hence allowing dust and other elements to stick to it causing blockage, which in turn would reduce the air flow to the vents. Depending on the size of the leak, an evaporator leak can sometimes be checked by using a leak detector at the a/c system drain hose. It is however a costly repair if that is the case, since it is not exactly a simple part to replace. There is also a chance that you might be able to see the evaporator core by removing the cabin filter cover too; no all vehicles have cabin filters but the cover is always there.

Good Luck,

N.E.C.

• 6 months later...

N.E.C.,

I found the air supply problem to be completely a cabin filter issue. It clogged very fast from dusty conditions I guess. I had cleaned it out some a year or so ago. It blows great now but still leaks.

The A/C shop tried dying the system again and still can't find a leak. It leaks out every couple of weeks so it's somewhat rapid. Where would be a good place to look or a good place to tell the tech's to look. A/C systems are a bit out of my expertise as far as DIY. I do not have the gauges and tools to fix them. Summer is coming in FL and this is a #1 priority. Where is the evaporator core located and should it be covered in a oily film or something if it is leaking? Would it be obvious? It's been leaking for a while. How hard is the core to get to? I'm afraid of anything removing dash parts because I bet with their age they will crack or break. Will Toyota work on the A/C you think in case anything breaks? Thanks!!!

-Kelly

• 1 month later...

Hey guy's, still need to fix my A/C. It's leaking out about every 2-3 weeks and I need to diagnose this problem and fix it. I'm kind of thinking the evaporator is leaking because the a/c shop can't find any leaks with the dye in the system. They've checked several times. Does anyone else agree that that is what it probably is. If it is, how difficult is it to remove the necesary dash components to get to the evaporator core? Is there anyone who has done this job themselves that could offer any tips. Thanks guy's.

-Kelly

Well if the system is leaking that fast then it should be somewhat easy to detect. A tricky leaks take a whole season to leak down.

I assume you mean they added UV dye. Can you look at every coupling and the evaporator and condenser cores? In home AC units the evaporator is common point for very subtle leaks. Unfortunately in your car its not too convenient to inspect due to awkward location. Hope about use the UV light in a dark garage or in evening in the driveway in case ambient light is causing you to miss fluorescing dye.

Failing a solution with the dye most AC shops have refrigerant sniffers. They are like electronic Geiger counters for ac refrigerants. Very sensitive devices so maybe they could sniff around all the couplings and all soldered joints on the evaporator coil.

I'm a bit surprised you do see some oil leaking give the severity of the leak. Of course the oil is more viscous so wouldn't necessarily leak where a gas would.

AC leaks can be subtle and expensive to track down. I spent $1000 and 4 service calls to fix one on my home AC. In the end they replaced evap coil and its been fine for 3+ years..