96 Ls400 Rear Seatbelt Problem

lucscood

I have a 96 LS400. The right rear seat belt is stuck in the retracted position.

Is there any fix for this besides complete replacement?

And is the only way to access it by taking out the whole bench seat, top and bottom?

If so, how difficult is that? I'm pretty handy, but I also don't want to create a bigger

problem here. It does get used every day, so I really need the safest fix possible.

Thanks for the help.

if u call the lexus custmer service and tell them your seatbelt needs to be fixed, they will send u to the dealer of your choice, get an estimate and call them back, if u decide to get it fixed, they will reimburse you after u send them the invoice or copy of it......this is what i had to go through, only i havent done it yet, hope this helps you, the number is 1-800-255-3987

I hope python and lucscood will update this thread and tell us if they are successful in getting Lexus to pay for seat belt repairs on cars as old as theirs are. I suppose there could have been state or federal regulation changes that might require restraint systems to be warranted longer than in the past.

The warranty book for my 2000 LS400 is specific about warranty coverage for air bags and seat belts -- 72 months or 70,000 miles after the in-service date. The only extension listed in the warranty manual is for the state in which I live - Kansas. In Kansas, seat belts and related components are covered for ten years regardless of mileage - but only if the car is both sold and registered in Kansas. The way I read it, if the car was sold new in Kansas City, Missouri but registered a few miles away in Lenexa, Kansas where I live, the warranty extension on seat belts would not apply. Air bags are not listed as being covered by the warranty extension for Kansas.

It looks to me like the entire rear seat has to be remove to get to the retractors - but I'm not sure. The package shelf has to be removed. It is easy to remove the rear seat. I think your 96 is like my 00 in that the seat bottom pops up and out - I had to use a big screw driver to pry it up. )There are no release tabs on the lower front seat edge like on the early LS.) Once you have the seat bottom out, how to remove the seat back should be obvious. There are just a bunch of bolts/nuts to remove and the seat back will come right out after sliding it upward. Some of the hardware may be hidden behind a leather panel, attached with velcro, you will see when the rear armrest is pulled down.

I've never removed the parcel tray in my 00 LS. My repair manuals may show how it's done.

i am just stating what i experienced.....all my post or responses, are things i have experienced and/or have extensive knowledge of, otherwise i keep my thoughts to myself....but on the other hand i havent actually taken care of this problem yet so its not factual

• 11 months later...

My 98LS rear seat belt retractor(rear drivers side) just got stuck. It wont allow the belt to pull out.

I removed the rear seat bench and seatback but I still need to get the "package tray trim" removed

(thats what the manual calls the rear cardboard shelf with the speaker) . I can see the retractor if I pry up the shelf.

I think the speaker has to come out or at least loosen the speaker grill, possibly from the trunk.

Still have not figured that one out.

Removing the rear seat was fairly easy but not totally obvious. As many have stated, the bottom(seating)

portion of the bench came out with just a forceful lift upward on the bench...one side at a time. There are four

slots holding it in. To get the back seating part out, there are 7 x 12mm bolts to remove. Four of these are

rather obvious, two on the bottom ends and two closer to the seat belt anchors. Then there are 3 more bolts

hidden behind each head rest. I pulled the two end headrests out(pinch the plastic retainer in and pull them out),

and found a bolt hidden behind a flap of upholstery behind each headrest. The back seating portion then pulls away.

I will try the 1-800 number and see how far I get. Worth a try anyway. Will post my findings.

Anyone have any updates on the retractor or suggestions on removing the rear package tray trim?

The repair manuals for my similar 2000 LS400 show only two clips or bolts behind the seat back holding the package shelf in place the car is a Canadian model or has had the three child seat tether anchors added that bolt through the package shelf behind the headrests. The repair manuals do not contain specific instructions for removing the shelf.

This diagram does not show the two bolts or clips I mentioned: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1998_LEXU...EAGKA_6403.html

Don't know if you have to but I posted here how to remove the hight mounted stop light: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=25937&hl=

Well, I called the 1-800-255-3987 number and talked to Lexus central.

Turns out the seat belts are part of the restraint system which is under the powertrain warranty(go figure).

So the warranty coverage is 6 years/70k miles. I am out on both counts.

I did get the speaker grill out. Just pull upward on each corner(one at a time) to pop it up. Thanks Jim for the brake light

suggestion. It got me to thinking maybe the speaker grill just pops out and it did.

I guess the next step is to pull the retractor out of the car and see if I can repair.