'99 Es 300 Check Eng/trac Off Combo

paul h

Have been to dealer and other mech's several times. Nobody has fixed it. First mech says I need a new control unit/computer box. ECM # 896610w122. Told me to take it to the dealer for repair. Dealer says code P0446 in history and found vsv valve sticking and replaced it. Same code and light combo came on again after 50 miles and found "cannister" was from a 1998 car and may be bad. Every time they try something and reset, it costs me big$$. Any suggestions other than live with it?

Thx,

Paul

per TSB EG002-99 replacing the VSV 25852-20010 is the correct procedure for a false PO446

Rarely does the ECM need changing, but if the cannister is bad it will cause your problem.

Thanks,

Now, where can I find one at a reasonable price? Dealer says the part is 600$ plus labor. Too steep for me.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Hey, if I'm getting charged $300 for the part and $160 for labor in Boston, MA is that a reasonable price? It's a friend of the family who is doing this for me. They spent an hour diagnosing the problem for no charge. I think they should be legit. But let me know what you guys think.