Tranny Fluid Change & Front Transaxle Change

AdamIsAdam

Yesterday I changed the fluids in my wife's RX330 (04). The tranny has the 10mm hex nut, so that was easy enough. I had read that there's a second 10mm drain plug near by for the transaxle which also works with ATF, but I never found it. However, about 5qts of tranny fluid came out.

The front differential bolts, 15/16", I couldn't get a wrench on them! specifically, not a ratchet & socket. And I didn't have a box wrench that size. Any tips on this?

The rear diff couldn't be any easier. I do love drain plugs on differentials!

Tips welcome!

Yesterday I changed the fluids in my wife's RX330 (04). The tranny has the 10mm hex nut, so that was easy enough. I had read that there's a second 10mm drain plug near by for the transaxle which also works with ATF, but I never found it. However, about 5qts of tranny fluid came out.

The front differential bolts, 15/16", I couldn't get a wrench on them! specifically, not a ratchet & socket. And I didn't have a box wrench that size. Any tips on this?

Tips welcome!

This thread will explain everything: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220061

Pics of the trans-axle plug borrowed from that thread.

xfercaseplug2tj.jpg

xferdrainout9zf.jpg

The 15/16" drain plug is for the transfer case and it takes gear oil. I got an open end wrench from Ace Hardware and it fit fine.

I'm not sure if the your RX330 takes more fluid than my RX300, but mine only needs about 4 1/4 quarts to refill including the trans-axle.

yea, I read that thread, all 99 pages. It was very helpful in proving i'm not insane. I guess the RX330 is different, as I do NOT have that drain plug. At least I feel better!

Is it also true that the RX330 doesn't have a serviceable filter?

as for the wrench, I'll hit the hardware stores this week. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you do the fluid change in transfer case and rear differential?

Do yiou have any writeup or details how to do it?

thanks

tp3366@yahoo.com

Tips welcome!