What To Look For In A Used Lexus

fadlan12

Hi Newbie to these forums.

I am am looking at a 95-99 SC300 but I would like to know a few things.

If maintained what is a good milage,for ex. is 100,000 miles too much (only seen one or two that had less)

What are some problems that I should look out for?

How expensive is maint? Compared to an 06 Accord.

If maintained what is a good milage,for ex. is 100,000 miles too much (only seen one or two that had less)

THINGS TOO LOOK FOR! CHECK ENG LIGHTS OVERDRIVE LIGHTS THAT FLASH DO A CAR FAXS REPORT ALL AROUND LEXUS IS THE WAY TO GO!!!! I HAVE A 1997 ES 300 201K STILL RUNNING STRONG BUT WELL KEPT I THINK I CAN MILK A NOTHER 100K OUT OF IT ! SO FORGET ABOUT THE HONDA JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT B)

I bought my '97 SC300 six years ago with 82,000 on the clock.

I now have 274,000 on it and just returned from a trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

I put 1,700 miles on it this trip without a problem.

But, I do meticulous maintenance myself.

I did have to get a new head gasket about a year ago. I am told that it is fairly common in this engine with higher mileage. I think I had 225,000 when it let go.

Always check for leaks.

Check service history. The timing belt is recommended at 90,000 miles. You should also change the water pump, idler pulleys, tensioner, and water pipe o-rings at that time among oher items.

Spark plugs are recommended at 60,000 miles. Wires can go 2 sets and last 120,000.

Mine burns oil now, but didn't start until about 215,000 miles or so. I always use synthetic so even though it burns about 1 quart per 1000 miles, you don't get the ntelltale smoke from the tailpipe.

Air conditioning is an achiles heel on these cars. The front compound pipe is a poor design and gets a hole worn in it over time. If it is not leaking you should put rubber between metal bracket and aluminum pipe to save it from death. This is the set of aluminum pipes that follows under the radiator.

If you have other questions feel free to ask.

Tom

Oh, that's a toss up, that only you can make. If you're comparing an 06Accord vs 95-99 SC3 you're comparing apples to oranges. The SC is an enthusiasts dream car vs the Accord a family mover-and-pusher. It can be expensive to maintain compared to the other, but you have to ask yourself if this is your primary car or secondary(spare/fun) car, and can you afford to take it to a real mechanic if needed?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. I currently own an 06 accord and an 03 F150 supercrew, I drive a motorcycle to work (55 miles roundtrip). I need to Find something to replace the supercrew (15-17mpg), something to haul the kids to school and around town (50miles or less per week). If I am going to give up my comfy pleasure to drive truck then it has to be something reliable and sexy. So it will be a 2nd or 3rd vehicle for the most part. I am fairly mechanical inclined and have done some work on my cars/bikes.

I really like the SC300, the SC400 and the IS300, I want to make one of those my next vehicle purchase. Are all the Lexus good (with appr prev maint) good to 200k? What miles are the best to buy? I assume less than 100k but most that I have seen for sale are 125k + for $4-7000.