1990 Ls 400 Power Window

Buckaroo

The driver's side front power window in my 1990 LS 400 is stuck half-way open/closed. Yesterday I pushed the button and the window moved about 5 inches down. Seemed like the motor worked fine. Now "re-stuck" in that position.

Do you think because the window moved when I pushed the button that the motor is still good? Maybe a short somewhere?

Any suggestions as to how I can fix it would be appreciated. Prefer not to take it to dealer => too expensive!!

Hi,

If the motor is working it sounds like a mechanical fault with the mechanism.

If you are mechanically minded you could have a look yourself.

I have attached a PDF of the proceedure and the door panel removal is here

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/fdoorpanel.html

Cheers.

frontdoo.pdf

Hi,

Cheers.

Hi,

Cheers.

The driver's side front power window in my 1990 LS 400 is stuck half-way open/closed. Yesterday I pushed the button and the window moved about 5 inches down. Seemed like the motor worked fine. Now "re-stuck" in that position.

Do you think because the window moved when I pushed the button that the motor is still good? Maybe a short somewhere?

Any suggestions as to how I can fix it would be appreciated. Prefer not to take it to dealer => too expensive!!

Thanks!

I'll have to read the tutorial on how to reply. Think I screwed it up.

In any event, based on what I read tonight, I'm going to do the following:

1. Spray "PB Blaster" into the switch after I disconnect it from the control panel.

2. Take apart the switch and strech the springs; also spray "PB Blaster" on it.

If that doesn't work, I'll take apart the door per your instructions and get my neighbor who sold me the car to help me figure out if it's the motor (which it doesn't appear to be) or the regulator (whatever that is?!).

Appreciate your help.

Yep, I'm the guy who recommends the use of PB Blaster to clean the door control. It's been 3 years and the old 94LS windows just run and run. Please let us know if it works for you. Be sure to remove the faux wood cover, and then spray the crap out of the guts. Best of luck.

It works flawlessly. Did it on mine. I bought my car on the cheap from an auto auction, because they thought that "all of the window regulators are broken". Well, having read all about ls400's before I went to auction, I already knew that the windows were fine, so I bought it. 30ish minutes later and an eighth of PB Blaster, all of my windows roll up and down flawlessly.