Front End Noise

I HAVE A 1998 LEXUS GS300 WITH 124,000 MILES ON IT. I AM HAVING A NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE METAL BENDING, GRINDING, SCRAPING AND SOMTIMES KNOCKING NOISE FROM THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BRAKE. GETS LOUD, EMBARASSING AND SCARY. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

IT SOUNDS LIKE THE PADS OR CALIPERS ARE TOUCHING THE ROTORS (FROZEN UP/LOCKED UP), I JACKED UP THE FRONT AND MANUALLY TURNED THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL AND HEARD IT, THE LEFT SIDE DID NOT TURN AS EASILY AS THE RIGHT SIDE. I TOOK IT TO A MECHANIC SHOP, THEY TOLD ME THE PADS WERE WORN DOWN AND THE ROTORS NEEDED REPLACING, SPENT $241 ON NEW PADS AND ROTORS. NEXT DAY SAME PROBLEM. TOOK IT BACK TO SHOP, THEY SAID MAYBE CALIPER LOCKING UP, MAY NEED NEW CALIPERS $481.

- BEFORE I GO SPENDING MORE MONEY DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY BE????

- OR DID ANYONE EVER HAVE THE PROBLEM????

I HAVE A 1998 LEXUS GS300 WITH 124,000 MILES ON IT. I AM HAVING A NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE METAL BENDING, GRINDING, SCRAPING AND SOMTIMES KNOCKING NOISE FROM THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BRAKE. GETS LOUD, EMBARASSING AND SCARY. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

IT SOUNDS LIKE THE PADS OR CALIPERS ARE TOUCHING THE ROTORS (FROZEN UP/LOCKED UP), I JACKED UP THE FRONT AND MANUALLY TURNED THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL AND HEARD IT, THE LEFT SIDE DID NOT TURN AS EASILY AS THE RIGHT SIDE. I TOOK IT TO A MECHANIC SHOP, THEY TOLD ME THE PADS WERE WORN DOWN AND THE ROTORS NEEDED REPLACING, SPENT $241 ON NEW PADS AND ROTORS. NEXT DAY SAME PROBLEM. TOOK IT BACK TO SHOP, THEY SAID MAYBE CALIPER LOCKING UP, MAY NEED NEW CALIPERS $481.

- BEFORE I GO SPENDING MORE MONEY DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY BE????

- OR DID ANYONE EVER HAVE THE PROBLEM????

I had a similar problem, it would start making noise when i would turn, or go over a bump, My mechanic said, it might be the rack and pinion, changed that, was good for a week, then started again. took it back and he figured it was the control arm. hope this helps.

With so many miles, if it happens all the time not just braking, it would be a good idea to check the ball joints. I have heard that when they go bad they make loud noises and this is an issue on these. These ball joints don't have grease fittings so they depend on rubber inside to hold the ball in the joint. If these are bad, your wheel could fall off.

With so many miles, if it happens all the time not just braking, it would be a good idea to check the ball joints. I have heard that when they go bad they make loud noises and this is an issue on these. These ball joints don't have grease fittings so they depend on rubber inside to hold the ball in the joint. If these are bad, your wheel could fall off.

THANKS GUYS, IT'S AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM, SEEM LIKE THE PISTON/CALIPERS LOCKING UP AFTET 1/2 HOUR OF DRIVING. WILL POST FEED BACK...

THANKS GUYS, IT'S AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM, SEEM LIKE THE PISTON/CALIPERS LOCKING UP AFTET 1/2 HOUR OF DRIVING. WILL POST FEED BACK...

GOT IT FIXED, HAD TO REPLACE BOTH CALIPERS.

GOT IT FIXED, HAD TO REPLACE BOTH CALIPERS.

blah when i bought mine i did the rear rotors, pads, fronmt pads, and turned the front rotors......i think its time to replace my front rotors now! might get some brembo blanks but i dunno!

brian

Check your rotors....do they look scratched by the calipers? If so...time to change both pad and rotors ASAP!! I upgraded mines to drilled rotors and PBX ceramic pads....clean...not much brake dust....but the drilled rotors do make noise (like a fan turbine) at lower speeds when the window is down.

• 2 weeks later...
Check your rotors....do they look scratched by the calipers? If so...time to change both pad and rotors ASAP!! I upgraded mines to drilled rotors and PBX ceramic pads....clean...not much brake dust....but the drilled rotors do make noise (like a fan turbine) at lower speeds when the window is down.

HELLO EVERYONE,

THE NOISE IS BACK, AFTER REPLACING BOTH FRONT CALIPERS AND BLEEDING SYSTEM ($583), IT SEEMS LIKE THE CALIPERS WERE NOT THE ONLY PROBLEM AND/OR NOISE. I AM STILL HAVING A FRONT END NOISE WHILE DRIVING, I HEAR IT MOST AFTER TAKING MY FOOT OFF THE BRAKES AND STEPPING ON THE GAS. SOUNDS LIKE METAL BENDING OR KNOCKING ..ALSO THE STEERING WHEEL FEELS STIFF WHEN I TURN IT, I HAVE 19" CROME WHEELS ON THE CAR, THEY ARE HEAVY, DON'T KNOW IF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT OR IF THAT CAUSED ANY DAMAGE. WHAT ABOUT THE BALL JOINTS,RACKIN PINION, ETC.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS COULD BE, THE NOISE???

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2006 GS 300, with about 22,000 miles (bought it certified pre-owned in February) and when I hit the brakes I sometimes here a "click", like two metal rods "snapping" by each other. When I took the car in for an oil change I mentioned the problem, and all they did was tell me when I went to pick up the car that this was "normal" on this model, and that it occurred after having the car in reverse and then hitting the brakes the first time when in drive. We'll, it may be "normal" in that situation, but it happens at all sorts of different times when I hit the brakes.

Thought I'd check this Forum to see if anyone had experienced similar problems and had a resolution, before I take my car back in and have to argue with the dealer that my problem doesn't match their "normal" explanation.

I have a 2006 GS 300, with about 22,000 miles (bought it certified pre-owned in February) and when I hit the brakes I sometimes here a "click", like two metal rods "snapping" by each other. When I took the car in for an oil change I mentioned the problem, and all they did was tell me when I went to pick up the car that this was "normal" on this model, and that it occurred after having the car in reverse and then hitting the brakes the first time when in drive. We'll, it may be "normal" in that situation, but it happens at all sorts of different times when I hit the brakes.

Thought I'd check this Forum to see if anyone had experienced similar problems and had a resolution, before I take my car back in and have to argue with the dealer that my problem doesn't match their "normal" explanation.

Yes my friend I know exactly what to do. Tell the dealer to install a brake shim kit under warranty.

Yes my friend I know exactly what to do. Tell the dealer to install a brake shim kit under warranty.

Thanks. Sounds like you had the same problem