Suspension Work

APPLIANCEGUY

Hello everyone,

I purchased a used 1993 ls400 with all the options for 2400.00 it has 116.000 miles. i decided to bring it to the lexus dealer in my area for fluid change and lube as well as visual inspection.

he told me that I need right upper control arm,lower ball joints,motormounts,rear knuckle bushings, cv. boots are leaking also advised to replace them and trans pan gasket and wheel alignment. oh yea almost forgot 3 tail light bulbs also. the total repair is arround 3300.00 dollars. i know i only paid 2400.00 for the car,it has 116.000 miles on it and the black and grey body is really in good shape with just some annoying scratches here and there :( and the occassional dings that can all be worked out later :D.. my question is......is it feasible to put arround 3500.00 into the car.it rides beautiful and it feels like im riding in my sofa down the road. i got it up to 120 m.p.h. and it had a slight vibration and showed about 2000 r.p.m. at 120 m.p.h.

ill leave it up to you guys for feedback. thanks everyone have a great day to all.

The only way I personally can guage what is wrong with the suspension stuff is when I get a noise. For me it is hard to tell what is bad and what is normal since it gets so very dirty under there. I had my BMW in at my indy mechanic and he wanted to put on new struts and shocks and that car runs fine. I may even put on lowering spring but the shocks and everything were fine.

Last time I was at the dealer for some warranty work on the same car, I was paged in saying 'yes the radiator we put in is leaking but while were there...' and I said no to whatever they said. Only thing good about a dealer/mechanic is that if something goes wrong then it is their a$$ and not yours. When I am having a problem with something and am afraid of breaking it, I will stop and take it to someone to have it done.

The tranny you could do yourself as well as a lot of other work. Carl has a great site and I've used his site many times on projects. Here is the linkhere.

I would try and find a good mechanic who you can work with. With the ones we have used, we will normally buy the parts and pay them the labor to save us and to make sure we get the right stuff.

Good luck and welcome!