Dash & Console Squeaks/rattles/creaks

2006 GS 300 AWD with 21,000

At low speeds, like parking lots and surface streets, I can hear several creaks coming from the lower left dash around the 'pod' area, the moonroof (ONLY with sunshade open) and the console generally creaks.

It's driving me crazy, the car is super quiet, so you can hear every single squiggle this thing makes. I already had the dealer fix the right side A-pillar rattle, but now i'm on the verge of ripping out the whole dash and injecting foam rubber or something into every single crevice until it shuts up.

Anyone else having these problems? If I wanted a squeaky dash i would have bought an 8 year old Nissan or something.

There is a TSB for dash/windshield rattles but the noise is usually made when it is cold out. The fix is simply removing the windshield locator pins.

I don't have the lower dash rattle that you speak of.

The moonroof may just be a dry gasket. Get some spray silicone and moisten the gasket around the glass with it. It will quiet right down. I had to do this to my ES about every 4-6 months. I found the more I went through carwashes, the quicker it dried out.

steviej

i have the same squeak, it's kinda subtle. i think it'll be louder when it's colder out, (90+ in chicago...phew)...i went to the dealer and they were willing fix it but i took a drive with the mechanic and the car was pretty quiet so they didn't take it in...(the noise comes and goes...maybe i should get back into german cars...uggh)...when it gets colder, i'll see. dealer said to bring it back anytime. the mechanic also said that a number of people come in with the same issue so i think it's prevalent...

i have the same squeak, it's kinda subtle. i think it'll be louder when it's colder out, (90+ in chicago...phew)...i went to the dealer and they were willing fix it but i took a drive with the mechanic and the car was pretty quiet so they didn't take it in...(the noise comes and goes...maybe i should get back into german cars...uggh)...when it gets colder, i'll see. dealer said to bring it back anytime. the mechanic also said that a number of people come in with the same issue so i think it's prevalent...

Both the ES 350 and RX 350 loaners I drove had some vague creaks coming from the dash, so i guess all of them do it. These were 08 models, and very low miles. I guess you have to get the LS if you dont want a rattle cart. Could be that because the wind/road/engine noise is so subdued, that you hear every other minor noise that is masked in most cars.

I bet the old ones were better quality though.

They have the same problem in the LS forum, dash squeaks and rattles. Its the new dash clips that Lexus is using and some say the material Lexus is using is cheaper now, so they expand more with temperature.