Looking To Purchase An Is 250

I'm a long time Lexus owner and am looking to buy a new/nearly new IS 250. I've read numerous consumer reviews where people were mostly happy, but there were two common complaints 1. brake dust and 2. interior rattles. I've test driven a couple, and my only question is on the back seat size. My old ES had plenty of room.

My question for those who drive the IS daily:

1. How big a deal is the brake dust?

2. How big a deal is the interior rattles? (I'm surprised a Lexus car would have a problem like this)

3. Is the small back seat a problem? My kids would be the ones to sit back there, so I don't think this is a biggie.

4. What kind of MPG are you getting with the 2.5 liter engine with calm driving (v. stomping on the gas when the light turns green)

Apologies if these topics have been discussed. I looked and didn't see this stufff discussed, but I'm still learning my way around the site.

Thanks in advance.

You can get the low-dust TSIB brake pads put on the car (free for 06-07, on an 08 it'll depend on if the dealer wants to do you a favor or not otherwise you'd have to pay for em)- that solves the dust issue.

Rattles- depends on the car. On my car there's pretty much none... if the interior of the car was VERY hot (over 100 degrees) then I get in and crank the AC, there'll be like a 1 second creak or two as the plastic on the dash cools, and I've had nothing else.... other folks don't even get that... other folks have a lot more/frequent rattles. The good news it's all covered by the warranty regardless.

If you get an 08 the front seat-backs have a sort of carved out space for your legs... it doesn't look like much but does make a difference... the back is fine for two average height -adults- to ride in for short periods, so it should be no problem at all for kids. Even in an 06-07 I wouldn't expect kids to be an issue back there.

I don't have a 250 so can't speak to its real world mileage... I can tell you my 350 with "normal" driving (ie doing 10 over the speed limit usually) gets about 28 on the highway and about 21 in the city, and I've seen a couple of guys manage to hit 30 highway driving a touch more sedately under the right conditions.

Be aware that mileage wise the RWD automatic 250 will be best, the AWD and manual 250s both worse.

I've had my IS 350 now for a about 5 months. And I haven't heard any rattles. And I drive on some cobblestone streets. As for the back seat, I have 70 year old mother in law who walks with a cane, and an 85 year old aunt, and they both have ridden back there to various places, and at the same time, and no complaints from them at all. ( And they can complain alot!) And would have if it was bad. :mellow:

Had my 350 for 3 months, not any rattles but the ac has a light whistle to it and that is new. I get over 20 mpg and I have over 300 horse. I would suggest you reconsider and go after the 350, the vehicle is extreemly fun and the 4-5k difference=years of fun.

My 250 choice is largely MPG driven. I drove a couple of 250's which seemed fast enough to get a speeding ticket. I bet the 3.5 liter screams...

On the engine topic, is anyone else amazed how much power they get out of these small engines nowadays? As a young person, I had a '67 Mustang w/ a 200 cu in 6 cylinder motor, and my friends made fun of the tiny engine in my car. If my math is right, a 200 cu in engine is ~3.3 liter, which we don't call tiny.

i pretty much agree with Knightshade

1 the dust is not that bad but it is noticeable.

2 no rattles in my car. only silence or stereo.

3 the leg room is a little tight for large adults. at worst i have to move the fronts forward a little. i'm a big guy, i would try to avoid riding in the back for a long drive. kids should be fine.

4 i haven't calculated the mpg, but it's a hell of a lot better than the pos 240sx i had. now i don't find myself at all upset, standing at the pump. also mileage goes up dramatically when i don't use the ac.

i'm extremely happy with my 250. hope this helps