"radio Off" Message

irmichel

Hi guys,

First post here from a wannabe Lexus owner. Recently I testdrove a '01 LS430 President (you guys in the States call it an Ultra) and i LOVED IT :)

It had the Mark Levinson audio and the sat nav. The sat nav was working fine but on pushing the volume knob of the stereo system a message 'radio off' would come up and the stereo kept silent. After some seconds it would switch back to the nav screen. Also on pushing some other buttons of the stereo/sat nav i would only get sat nav related items to choose from.

Is this bad news and should i stay away from it or is there a logical explanation ? The one year warranty will cover only 2/3 of the replacement costs if it concerns the on-board audio/navigation.

(Must ad that the car was standing in the dealer lot with the battery disconnected to prevent it from draining so maybe a security issue of some sort?)

Michel

Does your climate control features display on the Nav Screen? Also check to see if there's CD or Tape in the deck. if there isn't try putting one into the deck and see if it would play.

Does your climate control features display on the Nav Screen? Also check to see if there's CD or Tape in the deck. if there isn't try putting one into the deck and see if it would play.

Yes, the climate controls did come up on the screen.

According to the sales person he put in a cd before we took of for the testdrive.

I really like the car and the deal they offered me but if the radio is a goner already the deal suddenly becomes less attractive.

Second to that i now own a Benz S-class and i'm fed up with it. I want a zero-problem car B)

If I have read your post correctly, it sounds to me as if the stereo security system has been enabled. It prevents a stereo from being used after it has been tampered with. The dealership should be able to reset it. You have to get the code and enter it. I haven't encountered this with any Lexus or Toyota radios before, but I do this for alot of Volvo's.