And The Debate Continues

2007 - IS - 250 AWD in NJ

1. Got done with free dealer oil changes. I have to pay for it now, so what oil and grade is the best for my car? Driving style is gentle to aggressive. Winters are cold and summers are hot so need to stick with one oil grade

Dealer was using Quaker State 10 W 30

2. Coming to 30,000 miles and looked at the service in manual for that mileage. Should i get everything done on it for $500?

3. Summer tire recommendations?

Thanks

and remember one thing:

the reason for oils with lower viscosities is that engine manufacturers have determined that the worst time for most engines is when you are starting it...the first few seconds after an engine has been started are the ones that create the most "damage" thus, lower viscosity and synthetic oils.

If you start the engine once and then drive a hundred miles full blast and so on, then you need to worry about a different kind of oil, but that is a very rare exception, so for most owners, a lower viscosity to protect engine starts -especially whith very cold outside temps- is the best.

Just follow the viscosities clearly mentioned in your owners manual.

For a few extra dollars -completely inmaterial in the overall ownership costs- you should use synthetic oil.

I have not heard anything about a "bad" synthetic oil, so go with whatever makes you happy...

2007 - IS - 250 AWD in NJ

1. Got done with free dealer oil changes. I have to pay for it now, so what oil and grade is the best for my car? Driving style is gentle to aggressive. Winters are cold and summers are hot so need to stick with one oil grade

Dealer was using Quaker State 10 W 30

2. Coming to 30,000 miles and looked at the service in manual for that mileage. Should i get everything done on it for $500?

3. Summer tire recommendations?

Thanks

uuhmmm, My 08 Manual recomends 5W30. In my case, Miami. The 5w would not be really critical but for your NJ winters I would think so. Check the manual. The additional polymers needed to widen the viscosity range take space of the slippery stuff but in your case you may need the wide viscosity range, not us here in So Fla. On the synthetic question issue, I swear by them even if at the recommended 5,000 interval a synthetic oil is still in it's infancy.

I have a hard time paying that much for an oil change, take it somewhere anf keep your receiptd, even better find out if the deaership sells you the filter and even buy that from them. I would even have the service manager look at the new oil and get a sworn statement :) for future reference