1998 Interior Panel Help

I got $1,000 dollar a/c work done on the 1998 Es300. My mechanic had to remove the dash, in which he cracked and glued back a piece of the panel that goes around the two center air vents. Though it looks like a wood panel to me, the mechanic said it is only a sticker, my car is old and it was just a matter of time before it happened? I got the Lexus dealership/parts dept. to send over a fax showing the part that I need. It shows part #90468-04177, 55412D.

My questions:

1. Is this a wood panel or a sticker?

2. The dealership quoted $90 dollars..any suggestions on where I can locate this piece for cheaper?

3. How can I install this myself?

Any help is appreciated!

Your mechanic, obviously not a Toyota or Lexus Tech, broke the panel because he didn't know the proper method of removing it so it wouldn't break, and then gave you the song and dance about it was going to crack sometime in the next century anyway, so he isn't responsible for replacing it. First, you need a new mechanic, preferably someone with the social mores to accept the responsibilty for something he has done wrong. After all ... you only paid him $1000 for the AC repair ... right? He should have ordered and paid for the part himself or reduced your bill by the $90. (OKAY! I feel better now. My rant is now over.) Its been 2 ES's since we had our 97 and I can't recall whether the centre panel is plastic or real wood. Regardless, you should be able to locate one in a wrecking yard for reasonable dollars or search eBay under "98 ES300 dash vent". They come up frequently, and I'll bet you can find one within short order. As for putting it on, that should become fairly obvious when you get the new vent. It'll show you where its fasteners are located so you'll know if you need to remove a couple of screws or pry up at certain locations with a flat bladed screwdriver covered over with masking tape so not to scratch the piece. Maybe someone else with specific knowledge will jump in to give you a better picture of what to do. Good Luck!

Can you post a picture of the panel? I don't think the bezel around the air vents was wood in the 98, it may be an aftermarket stick-on kit which is what he's talking about.

Definitely a add-on piece around the center vents. The factory ones are black plastic. I don't see a Lexus accessory wood dash kit so it must be aftermarket. You might try someplace like www.wooddashexperts.com. I've never used them but it might be worth a try.