2007 Rx350 Water Pump Maintenance

lrmemd

Hi. I do a lot of highway/city driving and my 2007 RX350 has 80,600 miles on it. I have had very few problems with the car but the service center is recommending having the water pump replaced since I did not do it when I brought the car in for the 60K maintenance service.

Is this typical for Lexus? Does the water pump really need to be replaced if there are no problems i.e. leaks, overheating? Does anybody know the history of how often these water pumps fail and at what mileage?

Thanks.

Hi. I do a lot of highway/city driving and my 2007 RX350 has 80,600 miles on it. I have had very few problems with the car but the service center is recommending having the water pump replaced since I did not do it when I brought the car in for the 60K maintenance service.

Is this typical for Lexus? Does the water pump really need to be replaced if there are no problems i.e. leaks, overheating? Does anybody know the history of how often these water pumps fail and at what mileage?

Thanks.

That is crazy, The water pump should be fine well past 150k miles...No that is typical stealership. I would run away from that service department. They are looking for your walllet....

The anti freeze has a lubricant in it so unless you drained it and were running on water I wouldn't worry. I have only had one pump go in all my years of driving and it went without warning. I I usually don't keep cars long enough to wear out a set of tires or a battery, but when I was young and broke I would keep a car for a 100,000 miles. The pump that went was on a 1980 Scout with a Japanese made diesel. It sprayed coolant all over the engine