Considering A 2002

lehoai

Hi

I am looking to purchase a 2002 (I have a SC400 with 290k miles currently :o ). I did browsed the fourm for known issues and did not see alot on the 2002, just 2003-2005 models. I would like to ask what are the "problematic issues" to look for when buying a 2002. The prices (in California) are 21k to 24k with the milage at 55-80k miles. Any imput would be greatly apperciated.

I purchased a 2002 SC 430 just last Thursday. It has 24,000 miles on it. I bought it from an exotics dealer. Before I bought it I took it to a Lexus dealer. They spent two hours going over the car as well as showed me all the service records (it was all done at 2 different lexus dealers). Example: the 15,000 mile maintenance was done in 05. The only thing that was done repairwise since the car was new was 02 sensor and trunk shocks.

Price was 27,500 from $28000 advertised. The car looks showroom new. I consider the price fair considering the milage and condition. I paid $120/Hr to Lexus and consider that a bargain for peace of mind.

The car is pearl white with beige interior. It even had the window sticker along with all of the manuals. It shows MSRP at 58,455 plus Nav, spoiler, run flat tires cargo net, trunk mat and wheel locks for a total of 61,950.

• Like 1

I purchased a 2002 SC 430 just last Thursday. It has 24,000 miles on it. I bought it from an exotics dealer. Before I bought it I took it to a Lexus dealer. They spent two hours going over the car as well as showed me all the service records (it was all done at 2 different lexus dealers). Example: the 15,000 mile maintenance was done in 05. The only thing that was done repairwise since the car was new was 02 sensor and trunk shocks.

Price was 27,500 from $28000 advertised. The car looks showroom new. I consider the price fair considering the milage and condition. I paid $120/Hr to Lexus and consider that a bargain for peace of mind.

The car is pearl white with beige interior. It even had the window sticker along with all of the manuals. It shows MSRP at 58,455 plus Nav, spoiler, run flat tires cargo net, trunk mat and wheel locks for a total of 61,950.

solman

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering, how did you go about with the search of a SC 430? I tried internet, craiglist, auto trader, OC classified (I live in Garden Grove 8-) and finally local dealers. Hope to find one in the 20-25k range with less than 60k miles, this may seem wishful thinking, but looking at todays gas prices, I figure V8 are less "desirable".

I did the same as you. Basically, autotrader/cars.com/craigslist. I did find that if you extend your top range by a couple of thousand you could find low milage and immaculate. I also only looked at 430's that were the color combination I wanted. I got exactly what I wanted like I was buying brand new. I tried to negotiate thinking about the economy but after getting such a good report from the lexus dealer I thought it was a fair price. He came down $500 and to be honest with you, I would have been heartbroken if I went back a couple days later and it was gone. I don't know that the economy is really effecting the high end market like it is with suvs/trucks. I have no doubt that I got my moneys worth and have no regrets. My current (other) convertibles are 2 del sols (95 w/62,000 miles and a '93 with 95,000 miles). I also have a 01 PT cruiser (first year out) and 05 Odyssey also first year of current body style. I will now sell the 93 sol and PT. I've had sols for 12 years but am thinking about giving them up now-this 430 is phenominal!!!

Good luck-If you buy we can get together and compare. I'm right down the road from you-57/60 freeways.

>

The only thing that was done repairwise since the car was new was 02 sensor and trunk shocks.

>

My 2002 SC430 (Bought two years ago with 18K miles, now has 28K miles) recently needed any OXY sensor replacement and the trunk shocks are getting a little weak.

That may be the one common thing that goes wrong on the 2002's. Other than that, the car has been great....

If I keep the MPH at 60 (top down, AC off), it delivers 27 MPG, I have gotten over 30 mpg driving at 55....

>

The only thing that was done repairwise since the car was new was 02 sensor and trunk shocks.

>

My 2002 SC430 (Bought two years ago with 18K miles, now has 28K miles) recently needed any OXY sensor replacement and the trunk shocks are getting a little weak.

That may be the one common thing that goes wrong on the 2002's. Other than that, the car has been great....

If I keep the MPH at 60 (top down, AC off), it delivers 27 MPG, I have gotten over 30 mpg driving at 55....

Does this forum have a plave where owners can advertise to sell their SC's? Or if you are presently leasing an SC...is there a place where the current owner can sell to a new owner even if the current owner is leasing the vehicle (for the buyback and a little more)?

Hi

I am looking to purchase a 2002 (I have a SC400 with 290k miles currently :o ). I did browsed the fourm for known issues and did not see alot on the 2002, just 2003-2005 models. I would like to ask what are the "problematic issues" to look for when buying a 2002. The prices (in California) are 21k to 24k with the milage at 55-80k miles. Any imput would be greatly apperciated.

Last July, I found a 2002 Lexus SC430 through msn autos. It had 16,000 miles, was Certified and had a favorable Carfax report. I had a nice 2000 Toyota Solara with 23,000 miles to trade in The asking price for the Lexus was $39,995. I got it for $28,000 and my car. The internet sales manager drove the Lexus down to me and took my Solara on trade. The dealer was in Allentown, PA and I'm in upstate NY.

I've now had the car one year have put 5,000 miles on it. I had to replace the tires but other than that, the car has not been problematic in the least.

I purchased an '02 with 19k miles a few weeks ago from the original owner. He was asking $30k, and we settled on $26k. Sticker was $62k, and he added $5k in dealer options (got reamed on the rims - $3k).

Every time I drive this car I grin from ear to ear. It's an awesome vehicle, and I think I stole it.

First thing I did was to replace the harsh riding/handling runflats with regular tires - totally different car in ride/handling.

* 2002 model required new roof motor, trunk struts and tire pressure sensor *

I have a 2002 SC430. When I purchased in 2007 the car had 29k miles, currently the car has under 39k miles. While I love the car I was caught off guard when I needed to replace the roof motor four months after taking the possession. I received no warning before the the roof motor failed. Basically the roof was stuck in the down position. The dealer had no adequate reason why the motor failed on a 5 year old car. I didn't yet have a non-dealer mechanic and in the essence of fixing the problem as soon as possible (I didn't trust the car in my apartment carport for very long while in the down position). The repair ended up running about $2k: replace the roof motor assembly $331 parts, replace the trunk strut parts $165 x 2 + $1300 in labor. I was told the position of the roof motor assembly required a lot of labor based on its position in the vehicle.

While my repair costs have already been paid perhaps someone else can learn from my experiences and hopefully pay less for similar repairs. Although the hard top convertible is indeed convenient and sexy features, much like soft top convertibles when the roof needs repair the unexpected costs can be pricey.

Most recently one of my rear left tire air pressure sensor has failed made known by the indicator light on the dash controls. I'm going to schedule my regular, non-dealer, mechanic for the repair. The estimated repair using Lexus parts is $300. I only hope the sensors on the other tires do not require repair in the near future.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the valuable info so far...

I am in the same boat... considering a 2002 sc430, however with 107K miles for $17,000... not sure if that's a good deal... sadly it has no service histroy... it has had 2 previous owners & no reported accidents/issues (I think it was a lease vehicle)...

I intend to have the local dealer scope it out, and if nothing is out of the ordinary, perform the appropriate maintenance for that mileage & finalize the deal...

Given the amount of miles, is there anything else I should be wary of or look for, in addition to what was already mentioned?

I REALLY like the colour, which seems to be hard to find...and so far, in my research the sc430 seems to be a dream car (& my first Lexus)...

I was previously looking into used BMW conv (w/optional but separate hardtop), Mini conv, Solara conv, Celica conv... but I just didn't have the comfort level WRT roof leaks/noise/visibility...

From what I understand Lexus is the upscale end of Toyota, and my from what I have experienced with my 90 Camry & the experience of others, Toyotas seem solid, reliable, robust & low maintenance. My my hope is Lexus is all that & then some...

My goal is to pamper the sc430 & do what I can to make it last for a long time...(I have a '98 Odyssey with close to 500Kkm)... my only concern is its current state & history... if it hasn't been abused, or nothing is irreparable, whatever short-comings it may have now, I hope to repair/negate & get it back on tract with regaulr & through maintenance.

Any & all advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

frank