Moving Up North

daveGSLooker

So I'm taking a job up in DC in a few weeks and will be moving from Florida. I just had a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4s installed, and supposedly those tires are decent in the snow for an all season tire. I'm wondering whether I'll need snow tires this winter. I grew up in Boston so I'm familiar with driving in the snow, but I only drove front wheel drive or all wheel drive cars. I'm a little worried about my LS430's abilities in the snow given that it's rear wheel drive.

Anyone have any experience with the LS in the mid-atlantic winters?

Hey, I'm from Beantown, home of the Champions too. I worked in DC in 2000 for a year, and found that their winters are much more mild than New England. There's no way I needed snow tires, because the roads are so filled with traffic, the snow seems to melt away much faster. Plus if they get their once a year blizzard, the government slugs stay home, so the roads get plowed very quickly. My LS had no problems with snow, especially since, as you said, we know how to drive in the stuff. It's only dangerous in downtown DC, where you'll see 20 year old Caddies flying around cluelessly. But that's another story.

How 'bout the C's??? Light up a cigar. please...

Hey, I'm from Beantown, home of the Champions too. I worked in DC in 2000 for a year, and found that their winters are much more mild than New England. There's no way I needed snow tires, because the roads are so filled with traffic, the snow seems to melt away much faster. Plus if they get their once a year blizzard, the government slugs stay home, so the roads get plowed very quickly. My LS had no problems with snow, especially since, as you said, we know how to drive in the stuff. It's only dangerous in downtown DC, where you'll see 20 year old Caddies flying around cluelessly. But that's another story.

How 'bout the C's??? Light up a cigar. please...

Thanks.... I was already looking at some Nokians for the snow, but given what you said, I think I'll wait until my first winter up there, and see how the michelins do. Yeah that is totally crazy about the Celtics, I remember being lucky enough to go to some lakers-celtics playoff games in the old garden back in the 80's. Those were fun times.... everytime the celts scored the crowd shook the whole arena..

Hey Dave, I'm an old fool so I have to tell you about the time I scored tickets in the 3rd row (wooden chairs) at a Philly-Celtics game at the Garden, and Wilt and Bill Russell both fell into the chairs. My God, they were so huge I couldn't believe it. Like 2 trucks going at it. Of course, the Celtics won.

One thing about DC weather is that because the snow is wetter, you get more salt and stuff on your windshield, so be sure to fill the reservoir regularly. You don't need to carry sand in the trunk either.

I have a 99 LS400 in Minnesota. Unless the streets are NOT plowed I have NO problems. But, you should use the snow switch on the transmission. It does a wonderful job of controlling torque to the real wheels and preventing skidding. It is too easy to push down on the accelerator when you are doing 50 and have it break traction if the road service has any snow or ice on it.