Can This Be Something Other Then The Fuel Pump?

914lps

My 91 LS400 was acting like it was not getting any fuel. Classic example that folks post, and everyone responds with “Replace the fuel filter”. In fact about 15,000 miles ago I had the same trouble, and replacing the filter did the trick. Not this time.

Yesterday out of the blue car started to randomly act like it was getting no fuel, then it would be fine, then no fuel. I suspected bad fuel or bad fuel filter. I bought a new fuel filter, and a can of B12 Chem-tool and HEET to take care of any water etc… If bad gas.

I put the stuff in the tank, toped off the tank (added 6 gallons), and replaced the fuel filter.

Car ran great…. For 30 miles. Now it is just about dead. It can hardly keep running for a block.

Typical fuel starvation issues, wither in D or N.

No check engine light ever!

So, looks to me like it has to be the fuel pump and strainer. My plan is to order the parts and replace both…. Unless someone can tell me another likely reason that I’m missing.

Until then car is parked and driving the truck at 8mpg…. :wacko:

Bad fuel is possible. Hate to think you buggered the pump or injectors. I would empty the tank. Put in fresh fuel and add some injector cleaner and replace the filter again before replacing the pump.

I do not see how it could be the fuel, as car ran great for 30 miles after I did the filter. Also if the gas was now so bad that the car can't go a block without acting up... It would not have times when it runs fine. Also I believe if I messed up injectors, they would not work, then not work. At this piont I believe I have a delivery issue, not a quality issue.

I'd change the fuel pump. I had issues like you describe and it went on for a few weeks until one day, it would start but I couldn't keep it running. The car sat in my front driveway for months before I finally got fed up. I had it towed (AAA did it for free) to a local repair place and they diagnosed it as a bad fuel pump. I ordered a replacement from a store on eBay, but they sent me the wrong one! It didn't fit the car and I couldn't get anyone to return my calls or emails... I guess is was too good to be true at only $50. (Company was High Flow Fuel Systems).

Anyhow, the shop wanted $350 for an OEM pump, I found a replacement (Carter) from Kragen for $200. The labor was $268 and it took them 2 days to get it done. So it was $468.00 to repair it.

I drove my car to work today for the first time in 3 months. It is running just fine again. So I think what you have is a bad fuel pump. I understand that it isn't so hard to get to the pump as it may seem. You can remove the rear seat back and there's an access hole covered by some material. I read that somewhere on this forum and I verified it with the mechanic at the shop.

Anyhow, hope this helps. Good luck.

I'd change the fuel pump. I had issues like you describe and it went on for a few weeks until one day, it would start but I couldn't keep it running. The car sat in my front driveway for months before I finally got fed up. I had it towed (AAA did it for free) to a local repair place and they diagnosed it as a bad fuel pump. I ordered a replacement from a store on eBay, but they sent me the wrong one! It didn't fit the car and I couldn't get anyone to return my calls or emails... I guess is was too good to be true at only $50. (Company was High Flow Fuel Systems).

Anyhow, the shop wanted $350 for an OEM pump, I found a replacement (Carter) from Kragen for $200. The labor was $268 and it took them 2 days to get it done. So it was $468.00 to repair it.

I drove my car to work today for the first time in 3 months. It is running just fine again. So I think what you have is a bad fuel pump. I understand that it isn't so hard to get to the pump as it may seem. You can remove the rear seat back and there's an access hole covered by some material. I read that somewhere on this forum and I verified it with the mechanic at the shop.

Anyhow, hope this helps. Good luck.

Thank you. I am going to replace the pump. Almost ordered off Ebay from HigFlow, but whent with Mr. FuelPump... I'm hopeing that a $50.00 fix will work. I have the instructions for doing the work, and pulling the rear seat. Should have it done in a week. Will post.